New Quickie Build

brucef · 1381

Offline brucef

on: January 27, 2017, 08:34:00 AM
Just finished up the build on my Quickie. First attempt at something like this. No electronic experience or backround, but it all went smooth. I hooked it to an Adcom GFA 555 and a cd player and it works! Sounds good. I have to put together the PJCCS board and install that, but for now I will let it burn in a bit. The only thing I noticed is that the tubes that came with the kit are extremely microphonic. Is this a characteristic of that particular type of tube or is it a hit or miss to find a quieter tube?

Bruce F

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:36:01 AM
Yes it is a characteristic of the tube, and all other directly heated triodes. That is the compromise one must accept for the great resolution that DHTs convey.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline brucef

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 08:43:23 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Would I be wasting money buying / trying some different manufactured tubes? Mullard, Siemens etc.

Bruce F

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 08:55:23 AM
Some will be more microphonic than others. So it might be interesting to try different tubes. But they will all be microphonic to some degree. You might consider padding down the amp input to lower the noise floor.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.