Desktop speakers for sex amp- need advice

Big Bamboo · 3104

Offline Big Bamboo

on: November 23, 2018, 08:09:43 AM
Last Xmas I purchased a sex amp kit for my son-in-law as a joint project. This year I would like to procure some small speakers for the Sex amp to be used in near field as desktop speakers.

I have read the rave reviews for the Blumenstein speakers, which I can afford and may buy, but would prefer to build our own. (It’s a bonding thing)

DIY audio forums have plans for several  speakers based on the Fostex FF85wk...the uFonken, the uFonken plus, and the  Harpoon.

I would appreciate any guidance on this decision. Anyone here ever build one of those mentioned for the sex?

U

Offline Tom-s

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:11:45 AM
For S3X i was thinking about a pair of Fonken ff125wk full range single driver desktop speakers.
Because of limited power went with Klipsch Heresy III as small floorstanders for the living room.
Now, my desktop is still "tubeless". But with a speaker that inefficient i'd go with 2a3 or 300b tube to get sufficient power.
Could you share more about that harpoon speaker design?

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 02:49:58 AM
I started with Parts Express’s Overnight Sensations kit. It sounded pretty good for the price, but I eventually moved over to the Blumenstein Orcas.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline bernieclub

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 05:08:00 AM
I have a pair of Fostex fe126 drivers in small pre-made Parts express boxes on my desk.    They sound just fine, and plenty loud.   Madisound has some nice small full range and 2-way kits.
Bernie

Bernie Zitomer

Offline Big Bamboo

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 07:19:54 AM
Tom-s

The Harpoon design and others are discussed here in the DIY audio forums

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/247904-woden-design-3-box-designs-baby-labs.html

Offline Big Bamboo

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 03:01:39 AM
I ended up ordering a flat pack and drivers to construct a pair of uFonken Plus speakers. At some point after xmas, when they are built, I will report back on how things went.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 07:10:42 AM
I have the uFonken Plus with FF85wKeN fed by a SEX 2.1 setup on my desk at work. They really do need some help on the bottom end. I use an 8" sub in a small sealed box driven by a Dayton plate amp with the uFonkens running full range.
That being said, the combination is pretty impressive, IMHO. (Ripped vinyl of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" = Brilliant)
-Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Big Bamboo

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 01:57:24 PM
Karl5150

I was happy to hear you like your speakers. I would guess we might get around to include an active sub. Do you find your set up  adequate in terms volume?

I would appreciate if you would share the specifics of the plate amp and speaker and box used. Did  you purchase the sub box pre assembled or make it?

Will look forward to hearing The Wall, although I’m still partial to Dark Side. I wore through several copies of it.

Thx

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 04:17:53 PM
I have tried the ufonken with the ff85wk and the Orcas. I too liked it way better with a sub. I used a Blumenstein sub. I think both speakers are great. Building your own is def a big plus. I would try to use the fostex 83sol driver though. It is a large step up in my estimation form the ff85wk and 83en.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 08:43:34 PM
Fostex F120 full range drivers in dFonkenFX enclosures work really well with the Sex maybe a little big for a desk top but I have used them in this configuration and as a main speaker in my lounge. The amount of bass they produce will probably surprise.  Drivers are around $150 each expensive but really very good.

http://p10hifi.net/FAL/downloads/dFonkenFX-0v8-map-020709.pdf

Last year I made some small uFonken desk tops for my daughter with Scanspeak Discovery 10F/8414G10 Full-Range drivers (no crossover needed) these were £119 the pair delivered

The enclosure was made out of a couple of Ikea bamboo chopping boards they turned out quiet nice the Sex drives them well enough for nearfielddesk top use. I picked up one of those little 12w blu-tooth T-amps for about £20 that the daughter uses with them linking to itunes liberay phone/ipad. Works really well.

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/microFonken-0v9-map.pdf

Couple of old pics

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Jay

Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 08:32:20 AM

Jay L.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 09:09:31 AM
BB,
The SEX amp has plenty of power for a desktop set-up with these speakers. Mine's at work so I have to be careful not to disturb those in the adjacent offices.
As I've chronicled before, the sub is a very inefficient Rockford-Fosgate, 8", SVC in a 0.25 cu. ft. sealed box (both designed for car audio) sitting on a shelf under my desk. I'm using a Dayton 100W plate amp. I'm sure a better driver with the appropriate enclosure and step-up amplification would yield noticable improvements, but I'm happy with the way the sub blends with the sats: no distinct "holes", dips or peaks at the hand-off frequencies and from my seat (or even standing with the "Standing Desk" raised) all three do a pretty good dissapearing act.
Maybe I just got lucky...
-Karl 

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Jay

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 09:58:22 AM
oh, desktop.  that would rule out the GPAs
Jay

Jay L.

Offline Brent

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 04:49:13 PM

oh, desktop.  that would rule out the GPAs

Depends on the dekstop, I guess ;D. I’ve long been intrigued by these GPA drivers—the drivers weigh something like 45 pounds apiece, which is just ridiculous. I heard them a few years ago in cabinets the size of refrigerators made by Serious Stereo. The interest isn’t completely gone, but I’m pretty content with a  mintish pair of Klipsch Chorus I picked up a year or two ago.

Back on topic, you can’t go wrong with a pair of 3 or 4 inch Fostex drivers on a desktop. My favorite is a pair of FE103-Sol drivers in the recommended vented boxes. Standard FE103 should be close to that. No deep bass, but theuy are fine for casual listening. Quite lovely, actually, as long as you’re not expecting realistic frequency and dynamic range for orchestral recordings.