300b insertion ?

patm · 2511

Offline patm

on: April 06, 2016, 12:53:07 PM
My new Kaiju (a HFBG build), arrived today. I never had a manual, am I due one? I can't tell how the 300b goes in. Also is the hum pot the one behind the 300b socket?

In the beginning there was nothing, then it blew up!

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:18:19 PM
A 300B has two big pins and two smaller pins. The big pins go into the bigger socket holes to the rear, nearest the hum balance pot which is the one behind the four pin socket. The pot in front of the small tube is the level trim, used for making small adjustments in the case of minor imbalances between channels, or to compensate for very high line levels.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline patm

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:30:08 PM
Thanks Doc. After I stared at it for a while I could see that the larger holes were to the rear.Ready to apply power and adjust the hum and start the break in.

FP III, Paramount 300b (Takatsuki TA-300B), both with Mundorf S/O caps, Mikes iron, HFBG Eros,Oppo 103,Rega RP6 2m black ,Vaughn Triode JR II

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 03:52:03 AM
HFBG?  Thanks.

Gerry

Offline patm

Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 05:18:09 AM
Shawn Phelps aka HiFi Builder guy, BH offical kit builder for those who for what ever reason can't or don't want to construct the kits.

First rate builder. I have had Shawn build me a Eros, and now a Kajiu, and there will be a matching Beepre with be quite.

Wonderful sound. About 10 hours in and I am loving the sound as the corners smooth out. The Kaiju is stock except for V caps and a pair of 10uf Mundorf silver/oil that Shawn was reluctent to install prior to shipping.

I really think that I am already hearing an improvement over the Parimounts deeper richer bass and maybe more extended  Hi's. The bass seems much better controlled.

Dead quite with the dc filament upgrade.

I am most pleased with these components.

My experience with Shawn HFBG has been most satisfying. Things like nice straight leads on cap and resisters very net clean build. My research showed that I would have had to spend two or three times the cost of the kits and the build cost and maybe would have not gotten that wonderful BH SET sound.

Pictures later.

Pat

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 06:41:27 AM
I really think that I am already hearing an improvement over the Parimounts deeper richer bass and maybe more extended  Hi's. The bass seems much better controlled.
The biggest technical change in Kaiju is the new larger plate choke and output transformer. The size increase gives more extended bass, and the winding schedule has some improvements which I hoped would give a bit of treble improvement, more in quality than extension.

Paul Joppa

Offline drewh1

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:53:33 AM
Paul,
Haven't heard the Paramount s but compared to other sets I have heard you succeeded

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 03:31:50 AM
Shawn Phelps aka HiFi Builder guy, BH offical kit builder for those who for what ever reason can't or don't want to construct the kits.

Thanks Pat!  I'm a "non-builder" too, so that's why I asked.  I figured it was the "official" BH builder but I had trouble finding Doc's post related to that.  Using Shawn's name, I was able to find the post. 

Gerry

Offline patm

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 03:43:21 PM
My redhead Bottlehead HFBG system. Bout 30 hrs on the Kaiju, everything else is well broken in. Some friends over this am were blown away by the improvement in sound over my Parimounts.

Some pics ( nothing under the hood yet - gotta let the paint cure)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1161.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq517%2FPatmcsween%2FKaiju%2F284b76b9bc46a8b8cdfed6ff2565ab56.jpg&hash=ad1d50a6eababa6f3fbf14bd9b7afba46e62078c)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1161.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq517%2FPatmcsween%2FKaiju%2Fc5d2b6ad11f890c8d1f8d65676c04947.jpg&hash=731b9c0113a507e8f0e2aa7f6b45cc4304381116)

Offline aragorn723

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 08:00:04 AM
Those speakers are really cool, can you tell me about them?

Dave

Offline patm

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 09:13:18 AM
Hi Dave,

The speakers are Vaughn Triod Jr II's I looked long and hard for a step up after a few years listening to Clark's fine speakers (Orca's and Mini's) these are 97db 28 to 40k there is a first order Xover between the 8" full range and the 5" ribbon tweeter (at about 7k) the bottom rolls off naturally and the same arrangement that Clark uses to get solid bass jumpers to the high side of a 300w Bash plate amp to drive the 12" woofer. The use of passive speakers to deal with the box is new for me.
There are no ports. There is an 8" passive on the rear opposite the 8" full range and a 12" passive opposite the 12" woofer. The sound is full and rich, detail and slam. Surprising bass midrange is heaven these are the best adaptation of an augmented single driver speaker that I have heard. No problems driving them with the the Kajiu's matter of fact the Kajiu Vaughn combo reignited my love affair with my 10 yr old EMS 300b mesh which have never sounded better.