capacitor break in set up

kip.duff · 969

Offline kip.duff

on: March 07, 2017, 10:56:34 PM
Putting together my BeePre- then the Eros.  Want to break in my various caps before install if possible.  Pretty sure I saw burn-in info in these forums, but after extensive search, can't find now-

I have a $30 Yamaha receiver I bought on Craigslist that I used to burn in my Fostex speakers with "Irrational but Efficacious" break in CD.  I have the 10uf (may use 6.8uF?  better fit)  Russian K73-16 caps for now.  Connect in series with 5 Ohm resistor then run accross speaker outputs of the receiver at moderate/high gain levels?  Able to do more than one at a time?  If so, how configure?   

Thanks, Kip.......

BTW, Fostex/Madisound BK-16 Nagaoka speaker kit with Fostex FE168FE Sigma drivers very nice with my Paramount 1.1s.   

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Adrian

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:31:21 PM

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Adrian

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:04:26 AM
Kinda spitballin' here but I think you could connect each cap/resister combination in parallel with the speaker outputs.

The Impedance of each parallel path should be equal - same resistance and same capacitance or capacitive reactance.

I think we do this when we connect speakers in parallel, combining the same resistance (wire) and inductive reactance (same speaker).

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:35:39 PM
I have a $30 Yamaha receiver I bought on Craigslist that I used to burn in my Fostex speakers with "Irrational but Efficacious" break in CD.  I have the 10uf (may use 6.8uF?  better fit)  Russian K73-16 caps for now.
Put the caps in series with those Fostex speakers and run them for 100 hours.  With a 10uF cap in series with each driver, you aren't going to be stressing out the Fostex drivers much.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man