Amp making physical noise!

calmiswar · 763

Offline calmiswar

on: April 05, 2017, 07:02:24 AM
Hi everyone,

I have been running the amp with speedball for a few weeks now. Things were generally fine.

But just now, I noticed a very weird issue. When I turned on the amp today, I could hear faint buzzing and it turning into some sort of high pitch static, but I immediately pulled my headphones out. Then, I could actually still hear the buzzing.... I turned the amp off and on once more just to confirm this. The amp makes a buzzing noise with no headphones connected whatsoever.

I'm too scared to connect my headphones right now. This Sunday, I had verified all the voltages in the speedball circuit. Apart from OA & OB on the big board which were 104V each, everything looked fine.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:12:56 AM
Tighten the transformer hardware.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline bob lennon

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:19:55 AM
My s.e.x. 3.0 was humming, I swapped out the tubes because one was noisy, changed interconnect cables and moved it to a decoupled hifi rack and regulated power conditioner.

edit: I think because the amp is very heavy, if I lift the back off the table, the noise goes away. It isn't audible unless sitting right next to it, perhaps I will buy or make a decoupling platform and see if it helps.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:28:28 AM by bob lennon »

Offline calmiswar

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:20:47 PM
Tighten the transformer hardware.

Damn, you're right. 2 of the nuts had come loose. Things seem to be fine now. Thanks a lot!

Curious though, how did that introduce noise/hiss in the headphone as well?