Paramount 2a3 vs Kaiju

Jeroen · 1999

Offline Jeroen

on: March 08, 2017, 07:22:08 PM
Since a couple of years I play music with my Paramount amps using 2A3 tubes on 114 dB horn speakers. The amp is only driving the compression drivers for the mid and high tones (class D amp for the bass). The Paramount amp's are stock, exept for a Rike output cap. I use the BH Beepre as preamp, of course I've got to much gain, but that's ok with me.

I'm happy with this combo, but I would like to achieve an even better sound, especially a deeper soundstage. Has anyone compaired both amps on high sensitive speakers?

Would it be possible to put an (stepped) attentuator in the Kaiju amp, so I could leave the Beepre? I like short signal path's..

Thanks in advance for your response!

Regards,

Jeroen

Offline borism

Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 04:59:41 AM
Hi Jeroen,

I am wondering if the new Stereomour II would not be a better match for your situation. It offers a number of upgrades and according to Paul Joppa brings it to the same level as the Kaiju:
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=9840.0
(see second post).
In addition, it comes with an attenuator and is less expensive. :D

Boris

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 06:48:51 AM
The stock Kaiju has a high quality pot at the input for padding gain/matching purposes.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:33:26 AM
I would also add that the Kaiju's power transformer works much, much better than the 240V Paramount power transformers with the wide variety of line voltages available in Europe.  If I'm remembering your situation specifically, your line voltage was somewhere around 222V or so?  With the Kaiju, there's a distinctly different primary winding configuration centered right around 220V. 

The DC filament upgrade is also an improvement over the Paramount, as it is regulated and a bit quieter.

The gain issue will also be improved with the Kaiju, as you can trim each channel down 10-20dB to provide greater synergy with your highly sensitive speakers. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jeroen

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 09:48:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input.

It seems I have to build a Bottlehead kit again, Lucky me ;-)

What would be the best sounding amp for me you think (regardless of cost)? The Kaiju with Beepre or the Stereomour 2?

I guess I can't replace the 2 pots in the Kaiju by a stereo attentuator to make the Kaiju a intergrated amp? (directly connect the Eros phono to the Kaiju)

Regards,

Jeroen