Bottlehead Kits > Kaiju Stereo 300B amp

end bells on plate chokes

(1/2) > >>

Jeroen:
Just ordered the Kaiju amp, i'm looking forward to build it. Feeling like a 10 year old kit with a new Lego project.

I would like to put end bells on the chokes. Does someone know where I could get these? What size do the chokes have?

Regards,

Jeroen

Paul Birkeland:
You would have to restack the laminations in the choke with the covers first inserted into the channel frames.  This is, of course, assuming that you can pull the choke apart without damaging anything in the process (the chokes are varnished together).

-PB

fullheadofnothing:
Also worth pointing out that the limited edition Kaijus have end bells on the chokes...

Jeroen:
Taking a look at the photo of the choke transformer it seems I can take of the metal U shaped frame and leave the laminations in place. Could you give me the outside dimensions of the choke transformer?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

Doc B.:
Though it may not seem like it at first read, PB was trying to suggest that this is not going to work. The channel frame is going to be very difficult to remove because of the vacuum impregnated varnish, and there would very likely be damage to the laminations from trying to do so. The lams are air gapped and the rather critical spacing of that air gap could be disturbed in the process (i.e. the stack of i's might fall off of rest of the core). As Josh mentions, we had a small run of chokes made with bell ends inside the channel frames just for the limited edition Kaijus. Those lam stacks have been made to accomodate the thickness of the bell ends, and thus they are a little different. There is not a reasonable way to safely take a stock Kaiju choke channel frame off and add bell ends, and we definitely cannot support doing so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version