Old sex upgrade options

deserat · 1477

Offline deserat

on: March 22, 2017, 01:00:33 PM
Picked up this old s.e.x. ...  I'm guessing it's the 1.0 version.  Version that came out between 2004 and 2010.  The sound isn't leaving me impressed. But I bought it mostly just to beat up on it, and knowing it's dated.

I'm wondering if anybody can help me with some low hanging fruit upgrades.   Am guessing the tubes have seen plenty of use and need to be replaced...

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:03:41 PM
The C4S has been discontinued for that kit.

The Iron Upgrade would make a huge difference for you; it's the same iron used in the current generation SEX and Stereomour.

FWIW, that's the 2.0.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:05:29 PM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline deserat

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:29:07 PM
Tks. The word "Dynamics" in that description  had me hitting the "Buy" button immediately.

Offline deserat

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:58:08 AM
Stepped Attenuator worth it?

Also since I can't c4s it, would choking the power supply be useful. I've a Triad sitting around.

Offline kgoss

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 10:51:15 AM
A stepped attenuator is nice, but I agree with Josh that the iron upgrade is the biggest bang for the buck thing you can do.  I upgraded mine with Magnequest full nickel.  The BH transformers were not available when I put the MQ iron in mine.  The specco auto formers is the weak link in the 2.0 amp in my opinion.

If you go ahead with the iron upgrade you can use the stock chokes in the power supply.

Ken Goss