Magic

Downhome Upstate · 1492

Offline Downhome Upstate

on: March 10, 2017, 04:26:37 PM
Take 1 Reduction (presently w/o CCS), add Dayton film and foil RIAA caps, Vishay bulk foils at the inputs, Jupiter Copper HT coupling caps and a pair of early 60's Amperex white label 7308 PQs, and voila! Magic on a (relatively reasonable ) budget. Just wonderful.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Brent

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:20:55 PM
It's all magic, and I say that with full on conviction and earnestness. A few years ago, I bought Paramounts over Stereomour I because I knew I'd eventually end up springing for Paramounts anyway. They are amazing. Guess who can't stop wanting to build a Stereomour II now anyway (and Seductor, for that matter)? Conversely, I decided to build a Smash a years ago over a BeePre in part on cost and also because 4P1Ls were all the rage at the time. It is a great preamp, but the BeePre I built a few months ago is even better. I have begun to suspect Doc may in fact be the devil, a la the Rick and Morty 'Needful Things' episode. Fine with me. I'm just waiting on that speaker kit now  ;D

Listening to Dawn of Midi right now through my Lenco and Eros Fed through BeePre/Paramounts to Fostex Fe103en-sols and stereo subs. It's awesome of course. Apologies if I'm OT, but it feels consistent with the spirit of th OP. That being a big thanks to Doc and crew for making it all possible. Brent out.

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:56:38 PM
I had no idea that the spacing of the screw holes for the 8-lug terminal strips in the kit would match the spacing of some fancy gold-plated turret strips I picked up a while back. So far back that I have no clue where I got them. Even stranger is that the space between the outside A and B socket terminal strips would also match the spacing of another turret board from the same source excatly. And, they use M4 fastners. Lo, and behold, a place to stuff the too-big Jupiter Copper caps that I couldn't otherwise figure out what to do with. I'm guessing that this was an accident, no?  ::)

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.