Broken HLMP-6000

filkingian · 3657

Offline filkingian

on: August 24, 2010, 08:50:58 AM
Hi

I messed up one of my HLMP-6000 and I am wondering if I can replace it with any HLMP-6000, or do they differ in voltage?

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:40:57 AM
I think all HLMP-6000's are the same; other models with different voltages would probably be called something different. Just search for "HLMP-6000" at Mouser - I've ordered about 20 of the little buggers from them, and they've worked great as cathode "resistors" in all of my projects. (And yes, i can confirm they are exactly identical to what Bottlehead supplies).

Offline JC

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:49:27 AM
Yes, I think the principle differences within the HLMP-6000 series have to do with the package, rather than the internals.  As far as I can tell, even different colors have a slightly different designation.

Perhaps Doc or Paul will happen along to enlighten us about the particular version they use.

Jim C.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:54:03 PM
The HLMP is always a "standard red" LED - not AlGaAs, "high efficiency", orange, or any other color chemistry. That's what is critical, the low efficiency (as a light source) gives it a low dynamic impedance. Originally they were made by HP, then by Agilent which was an HP spinoff, now it's somebody else - I don't know if they use the same equipment or not. The original HPs were also very quiet, probably due to excellent clean-room manufacturing. I've not done comparative evaluations of the currently available LEDs.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:14 PM
Hi

I messed up one of my HLMP-6000 and I am wondering if I can replace it with any HLMP-6000, or do they differ in voltage?

Give Eileen a call and she can slip one in the mail for you.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Dyna Saur

• Yippie-Ki-Yay....
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:46:15 PM
IIRC ,the HLMP-6000s and other formerly HP/Agilent LEDs  are now made by Avago. 

/ed B in NC

ed brown