Top Plate Fabrication

dbishopbliss · 2963

Offline dbishopbliss

on: June 22, 2011, 02:47:14 AM
I would like to make top plates similar to the one that Luther made in his Modern ST70 (wouldn't we all).  What I really like about his top plate is how it is bent so the back and top are made from a single piece.  I have a number of questions:

• I assume the plate is aluminum, but is there a specific grade I should look for?
  • Where can I buy the material and will they cut it to size?
  • How was the bend made?
  • How were the round holes made?
  • How were the rectangular holes made?
  • Where do you find places to chrome the top plate?

Depending upon the cost of the tools needed, it might be less expensive for me to have Front Panel Express cut the holes.  But I still want to know how to make the bend and where to chrome. 

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:51:12 PM
Chrome work is getting hard to find.  Lots of nasty chemicals in the process and so few small shops do this anymore.  Try Jerry's Metal Plating in St. Clair, MO.  You can google the number. 

Square holes in thick aluminum plate will require a precision milling machine or CNC mill.  I'm not aware of any good ways of doing this in a DIY sort of way.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie