3D imaging pre-amp

rlyach · 10667

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 01:59:53 PM
Yeah, you have the concept correctly.

I think it's evolution, not a coincidence. Since loudness does not work well at low frequencies, there is a survival advantage to developing phase sensitivity in that range. It's actually quite remarkable that we can detect phase effects up to 1500Hz or so - most neurons are not usually anywhere near fast enough for the task. I believe the phase/timing information is retained all the way into the brain, not decoded at the first layer or two. But I read about this a long time ago so there may be more knowledge, ort my memory may have gotten some of it wrong.

Paul Joppa

Offline mSummers

Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 02:57:17 AM
I'd love to try this as well.  Could you post the layout file for the circuit board and the top/bottom plates?

- Michael

Offline rlyach

Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 03:27:59 AM
Here is the board layout, a picture of the placed components and the backside of the board. I inserted the components from the top, soldered them in place on the bottom, bent the leads together to form traces, and inserted one lead back through the board for a top connection on all nodes that need to connect to the RCA jacks, switch and POT. The node names match the schematic. There is also a simple instruction file. Enjoy! I will be away for a couple of weeks.

Randy Yach

Offline mSummers

Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 03:31:20 AM
Thanks!

- Michael

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 08:34:57 AM
Finished mine today!
Caps still to burn-in (pio matched russian ones...lot of time ahead!), but hey, the effect is incredible!!
I put this little wonder in the same case of my passive BSC circuit (Paul Joppa's open source circuit found here http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/bafflestep/passive-BSC.html ).

A killer add-on to every headphone setup!

Bottlehead crew, what about throwing a kit for the Quickie+Quicksand users with both those simple circuits?  ;)

Thank you again for the scheme rlyach!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 11:52:31 AM
This looks like a fun little project!  Is this totally a passive device (no power needed?)  What is the insertion loss on this?  I have too much gain in my system, so it looks like this might help with that problem too  8)  Is anybody using this in their main system?  I'm guessing this would go between the preamp and amp?  Thanks,

Dave

Offline Bonzo

Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 12:11:52 PM
Is this totally a passive device (no power needed?)

yes, no power needed!
What is the insertion loss on this?

I don't know, but I think it's a bit high, better have a preamp with my cmoy headphone amp (which is quite strange given cmoy driving capability!)
I'm guessing this would go between the preamp and amp?

Yes, better!

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 12:54:59 PM
How do the controls work?

Offline Bonzo

Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 08:16:43 PM
The only controls are a pot to adjust crossfeed effect to taste (purple one) and a switch to disable the circuit; the other pots and controls are for the BSC filter for luodspeakers use only.

I must sa the build is really straightforward, thanks to the excellent instruction published by rlyach.

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 12:57:29 AM
What do the two items circled in red mean?

Thanks, Dave

Offline Bonzo

Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 01:09:51 AM
The point where the musical signal (conventionally a sine wave) get in and out the circuit.
You can substitute it with RCA jack symbol!

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 02:25:45 AM
I'm shuffling through my parts boxes.  I'm thinking that if I don't have a 1nF I might just keep the same RC product and use a different value.  It looks like one of my RS 100k Audio taper pots will do well, great value for $3.

I have a torn plantar fascia so I need to play with something while healing.

Oh, thanks for the pictures I have some of that perfboard or what ever it is called.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:28:06 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Bodyslam

Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 04:25:01 AM
Thanks Paul, Now I know why I was confused. I assumed that since low frequencies are omnidirectional that delaying the high frequencies is more important. With your explanation on the psychoacoustics of the stereo image, the circuit makes perfect sense. So when they say that bass is omnidirectional, does it mean that the brain does not use loudness to locate the sound like it does with higher frequencies? It is rather convenient that delayed low frequencies make this work. Hence you can use the simple RC low pass filter.

There is a common misconception in audio circles that goes along with the phrase "bass is omnidirectional." What does that phrase really mean?

If you take it to mean, "most speakers approach omnidirectional radiation as you go lower in frequency" that's entirely correct.

But a lot of people have, without thinking it through carefully, translated it to mean, "we can't hear what direction low frequency sounds are coming from." This is not correct at all. You often see this assumption come up in discussions of single subwoofers, or the point one channel in 5.1 surround systems.

Think for a moment of hearing the sound of an airplane from a large distance. This is an example of low frequency sound without a high frequency component. The transmission loss in air has erased all high and even mid frequencies, leaving nothing but the lows. We have no difficulty locating the source of the sound.

In fact the common experience of hearing the sound emanate from a different point than the point where our eyes place the airplane is a further illustration of just how strongly we are able to localize the origination point of the sound.

It's also true that low frequency sound wraps around objects in its path, like our heads, in a different way than high frequency sound. This has many ramifications for us, but I don't think "omnidirectional" is the right word to describe this effect.

Just trying to bring some clarity.

Paul Stubblebine
Paul Stubblebine Mastering, San Francisco
The Tape Project, LLC
serious student of the audio arts

Offline jake111

Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 11:18:06 AM
Would this do anything positive for a near field desktop system?
Thanks, Jess

Offline Bonzo

Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 11:33:05 AM
Would this do anything positive for a near field desktop system?
Thanks, Jess

I don't know, but you gave me a good idea!  ;D

Bisogna avere orecchio!