Exciting news - new digs!

Doc B. · 14968

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: May 17, 2010, 10:21:40 AM
As you know I have been a little cagey about committing to dates about various events like product releases, meetings, classes, etc. As of this afternoon I can explain why.

A rough calculation of the space usage of our 2000 sq. ft. house indicated that we are now using 937 sq. ft. for Bottlehead and the Tape Project. We've managed to hang in pretty well through the economic downturn (thanks for the support!) and now with the economy picking back up we are realizing there is just no "give" left in this 70 year old house to further grow the businesses. So we have been looking for a new space off and on for the past nine months. After looking at a string of places that looked like "fixer uppers" we happened upon a very hip business park on Bainbridge Island with a really great 1542 sq. ft. space in a brand new building. As of this afternoon the signatures on the lease are dry so I can announce that Bottlehead and also the Tape Project's packing, shipping and customer service aspects will be living in this new space sometime near August 1.

Our lab and packing operations will be housed in one suite that we intend to lay out in an open plan so that we can reconfigure the space as a classroom that can hold 10 or 15 students at a time. Across the hall we will have offices, a lobby area with a little bar area, and - wait for it - A  4000 CU. FT. DEDICATED LISTENING ROOM! Yee haw! The isolated room will be 16.5 x 25 x 10, with a hole in the ceiling that opens up to a sloped ceiling of 18'. I'm hoping to use a lot of the ideas that Paul and Michael used when they built their mastering rooms, which I still think are about the best rooms I've heard.

If I haven't made it clear here, the idea is to create a space that is very bottlehead friendly. The office is just a few minute's drive from the Bainbridge Island ferry terminal and we will plan to do a lot of events here to fully utilize the space. I foresee short one day classes as well as the more intense kind of class we have done in the past, monthly meetings, new product release events, and a place for folks to come and audition Bottlehead products and Tape Project tapes.

Oh, did I mention that there is a vodka, gin and whisky distillery with a tasting room right downstairs?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:27:22 AM
Sounds great! Congratulations!  Wish I lived a lot closer.  Well, maybe one day.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:27:29 AM

Oh, did I mention that there is a vodka, gin and whisky distillery with a tasting room right downstairs?

Sounds like you better put a futon in there somewhere.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline JC

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:51:10 AM
Congratulations!  No more "commuting" in your slippers and robe, I reckon!

Jim C.

Offline FR500C

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:32:15 PM
Awesome.  When you start classes/workshops in earnest, I'll use that as my excuse for my first ever visit to WA state.  Congratulations!

everything all of the time

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:50:44 PM
Never been to Washington State.  Now it looks like I may have an excuse to visit.

Congratulation!

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Mikey

• Analog Engineering
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 07:20:54 AM
Congrats Dan!

"with a little bar area"

Naturally!  :-)

"there is a vodka, gin and whisky distillery with a tasting room right downstairs"

How much did that weigh into your decision making process!?  (heh-heh-heh)

Mike

Mike Paschetto

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:11:36 AM
I meant an espresso bar.

No, really.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:17:36 AM
Our space is just an empty shell, but here is a pic of our downstairs neighbor Keith's distillery. That would be my office right above those ceiling joists...

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.kitsapsun.com%2Fmedia%2Fimg%2Fphotos%2F2009%2F07%2F31%2F20090731-212305-pic-68045438_t300.jpg&hash=44bf9472b443142f48f440eb8433e52c0aa47832)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ironbut

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 10:06:39 AM
Killer news Dan!
I have a funny feeling that Keith will soon have a full Bottlehead system in his living room!

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 12:28:34 PM
Our space is just an empty shell, but here is a pic of our downstairs neighbor Keith's distillery. That would be my office right above those ceiling joists...

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.kitsapsun.com%2Fmedia%2Fimg%2Fphotos%2F2009%2F07%2F31%2F20090731-212305-pic-68045438_t300.jpg&hash=44bf9472b443142f48f440eb8433e52c0aa47832)

That makes me thirsty!  Excellent for the whole crew.  I hope the commute doesn't cramp the Bottlehead style.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 08:55:33 AM
Here some pics of one side of the new office. This is the "public" part - lobby/kitchenette, offices and listening room. The lab and packing and shipping will be in one open space across the hall.

This is looking from a point where a wall that will divide our office from the neighbor will be. The space looks foreshortened in this photo, it's actually about 35-40 feet all the way to the back wall. That listening room area is about 16-1/2 feet wide and 25 feet deep. There will be a hard ceiling at 10 feet in that room, that will have an opening to the sloped ceiling above. All the other spaces will be open to the sloped ceiling. After working in this basement with a 7' ceiling for 15 years it's gonna seem like heaven.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:00:39 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 10:00:17 AM
Eileen's office is three times larger than yours. Not that she doesn't deserve it but I would suggest changing your President for Life title to something more realistic.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:01:15 AM
This is standing in the corner of the listening room area, looking back the other way. Along with the high ceiling the big windows will be a welcome addition after living in the basement.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 10:03:15 AM
This shows the entry door and the wall that runs along the hallway that divides the office and the workroom.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.