Question about 4th power supply cap

crackuser · 2062

Offline crackuser

on: September 18, 2011, 09:17:17 AM
I have a Rubycon MXG 470uf/250 volt and a wire-wound resistor that I can use as a 4th cap/resistor. Here is the schematic:
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg560.imageshack.us%2Fimg560%2F9426%2Fcrackpsmod.jpg&hash=1cb81eb4f5c111e4fdd22e58c9f6467ed619f1d7)

Since Doc said that the returns on this diminish after the speedball upgrade, is it still worth the attempt if I have a speedball kit installed? No one has commented about this upgrade since June so I was wondering if anyone has done it with the speedball. If it is a waste of a good cap, I will save it for another project.
  Also does someone know the tallest(or lowest depending on how your looking at it) point the power supply caps reach that are on the bottom of the plate. Also the size of the screws on the transformer. I have to get some standoffs but I don't have anything to measure against. I am putting a D.C. regulator board under the transformer and even though they mailed the kit, I wont have the top plate for awhile since I did a custom order. There the last parts I need. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:22:10 AM by crackuser »

Offline crackuser

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:34:40 AM
Also can I get the size of the hole for a Nutrik locking headphone jack. I have been to Nutrik's web site but every time I hit the adobe file to read the spec sheet  Firfox locks up on me and it wont read the file.  I think I can have the plate manufacturer just cut a bigger hole from the start since I am custom ordering from them, that is if I have the hole size.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:36:34 AM by crackuser »

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:06:25 AM
I just tried it myself with the same results (also using Firefox).  Then I tried doing a "save as" to the desktop and that bombed as well.  I'm thinking it is something with the Nutrik site.

You might have to give 'em a call.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline crackuser

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:01:11 PM
I guess I will try it and find out. I have the parts to go back to the stock if I want. Its a experimenters kit right?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:19:59 PM
The extra RC stage may lower ripple a little bit, but you are certainly well into diminishing returns at that point.

The screws on the transformer are 8-32.  To make more room around the power transformer, you could investigate switching to axial electrolytic capacitors to reduce the height of those components, but be aware that you might end up needing that extra RC stage if you change to different power supply capacitors.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ssssly

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:13:02 AM
If you have the parts and you don't need them for something else give it a whirl and let us know how it sounds.