Bottlehead Kits > Eros Phono

Eros 2 questions [resolved]

(1/7) > >>

tmills:
Good afternoon

I am considering purchasing an EROS 2 but want to ask a few questions first. I am looking to add a little tube warmth. I am not sure if the EROS 2 will work in my system. My system consists of a modified Rega Planer 3, Nagoaka MP200 cartridge, and a Rega phono 3 for source. The preamp is a Pass diy BA3 running a Pass diy 50 watt class A power amp. Speakers are Totem Staafs. I find the Rega phono 3 a little bright on some albums. I listen to mostly rock music. I do not know the output impedance of my preamp but the Eros gain will be fine as the Rega has 42db and that works great for me.
I also want to ask about upgrades. I am willing to spend the money on mods but I don't want to waste it on just upgrading everything. What parts are worth upgrading in the kit. I have two 1uf Stealth caps already to use on the outputs but wonder what other parts will make a difference.

Thank you

Paul Birkeland:
The B3's input impedance looks to be 47K, which is OK for an Eros.  The Nagoaka MP-200 is specified as having 4mV of output, so I think you've got the goods to drop an Eros into your system without any fuss. 

The 47K/2W resistors and the 75K 1/2W resistors are worth upgrading.  Be aware that any resistor that lives in an "R2" position on the boards is outside the signal path and not at all audible.  The 75K resistor is part of the RIAA EQ, so be sure to get a 1% part or buy a batch and hand match them.  The 47K 2W resistors are not so critical in terms of tolerance.

tmills:
Thank you Paul for the info. I can now make my decision.

Todd

tmills:
I just ordered my Eros 2 today. Looking forward to getting and building it.

Doc B.:
Thanks for your order!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version