Is this the first Crack in Singapore !!

berniebanks · 4436

Offline berniebanks

on: November 07, 2011, 03:40:01 PM
I received the kit last week in Singapore (within three weeks of ordering). I have to say that having not built anything other than a transistor radio kit when I was about 13, this kit went together without a hitch. The instructions are well laid out and easy to follow and if you can read and take your time double checking every connection as you go along you cant fail to put this kit together and get it working as advertised. I would say the only really tricky bit is soldering in the two tiny LED's , you need patience a pair of tweezers and if your getting on like me a good pair of specs or a magnifier to see those spindly legs.

It all tested out fine, resistance voltages all in the correct range and it was time to have a listen through a pair of newly acquired HD600's. WOW awesome was all I could say after a 10 min warmup.  I was astounded at the sound, great deep controlled base, superb mids, detail, airiness and width that I had never heard before with a pair of headphones.

To sum up a great kit,  that will bring a smile to your face when you listen providing hours of musical pleasure.  Just what the doc ordered after a hard day in the office.

What's next maybe a speedball upgrade when I'm itching to get the soldering iron out again.

Bernie
A Brit in Singapore

Bernard Banks

Offline Thoburn

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 03:54:21 PM
Congratulations! I second your sentiment on Bottlehead kits. I built a Stereomour and the assembly went without a hitch and all the mesurements were correct the first time. Now I am inspired to built a BH headphone amp even though I don't own a pair of decent headphones.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:07:03 AM
Excellent!  It is always good to hear of a kit that works right at the end of the build.  The forum hears about those that have gone south during the build. 

I have said it a number of times, Bottlehead kit instructions are the best I have ever seen.  I have seen other current kit instructions and they don't even come close.  Their efforts result in many, many first time kit builders (not you Bernie) with a successful first build.

Offline berniebanks

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:13:00 AM
Thanks Grainger, as newbie it was a great kit to start with and the best part is you create something that sounds awesome . I mentioned the speeball if I felt the urge to solder and reading the forum it sounds like a no brainer and a better investment than caps so I've gone ahead and ordered one.

Bernard Banks

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 02:25:34 AM
The C4S (Speedball) has a number of advantages.  The reduction in noise and improved linearity make the biggest differences.  I speak with no experience of the Speedball but have upgraded C4S boards in my other Bottlehead equipment.  Your music will be cleaner.

Offline berniebanks

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 02:55:29 AM
Hope it goes together as easily as the Crack did. Looks like quite a low parts count, not sure if the led's are SMD or have legs in holes from the pics.  Anyway be interesting to put together and hear what difference the Speedball upgrade makes to the. By the time it arrives I would have got plenty of listening in on the stock setup.

Bernard Banks

Offline Laudanum

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 03:33:14 AM
The leds are through holes.  Just make sure you take your time identifying the parts and orient the LED's correctly ... you already know about the LED's having built the stock Crack.  They are the same as used in Speedball.  The parts count is pretty low and it is an easy upgrade and well worth it.

Desmond G.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:33:56 AM
Thanks for the kind words Bernie! Not sure if it's the first Crack in Singapore, I'll ask Eileen to check the records.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline berniebanks

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 02:51:14 PM
Thanks Doc, It will be interesting to find out if it is.

I am really pleased with the kit which is sounding really sweet now after having a play with tube rolling.
I found this amazing little shop in Singapore run by a sweet 75 year old lady that's busy soldering away building their own brand (Martin Electronics ) amps and crossovers. She has a lots of boutique parts and a wide range of tubes and knows what she's talking about. To cut a long story short I asked her what a good 12AU7 type tube would be and she pulled out an NOS Phillips 6189W and said try this they sound really good. So armed with the tube I went home plugged (other tube is an NOS GE 6AS7G) it in and listened away over the weekend and I really like it compared to the Electro-Harmonix 12Au7 supplied with the kit.. I cat really describe the sound but to me It just sound better.

Bernard Banks

Offline berniebanks

Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 09:48:13 PM
Speedball arrived for Christmas, managed to find some time to build and install the upgrade to my crack today.
What a transformation, it really makes a very noticeable improvement, better clarity air and dynamics.

Doc , your attention to detail in the instructions with the great images, made this another build for me that went without a hitch.

Happy New Year to all Bottleheads

Bernard Banks

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 05:51:27 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Bernie!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline berniebanks

Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 07:57:14 PM
Speedball installed

Bernard Banks

Offline steel

Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:07 PM
Nice...

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 05:03:43 AM
It is a tight fit but everything made it in there with some room to spare.  Excellent planning!

Offline berniebanks

Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:50 AM
Just nice, thats that one's done, no more tinkering as its sounds fantastic to me.

The thing to note when building he boards is to take care wen soldering in the transistors, especially the tin can ones as the pads are close together and it would be easy to get a short if you don't take care when soldering.  For those building, use a magnifier to check over your boards carefully before installing.

Now looking forward to my seduction when it ships next year.

Bernard Banks