Eros (Seduction) Spinning

Paully · 29031

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 12:15:44 PM
just to clarify... the two albums that Anton purchased feature Ozzy as well.  Black Sabbath - "Black Sabbath" is one of the most underrated rock albums of all time.  It is also the album that is credited with starting the heavy metal genre.

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 12:31:10 PM
I recently scored a copy of Woody Herman's "Roadfather"... sealed, at goodwill for $1.75.  The album features some of that blistering big band jazz, w\ a latin flair and huge dynamics... i am categorizing this purchase as somewhat of a "holy grail" of sweet finds in my record hunting.  I highly recommend that you check it out.  here is a link to the first track.  Also, it finishes with one of the best renditions of Stevie Wonder's "isn't she lovely" that I have come acrossed.

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 06:58:24 AM
My friend in Wichita sent me a bill evans trio album.  "Re: person I knew" .  It is highly involving Jazz.  There is also a really cool video of the bill evans trio on Netflix that should be checked out.  Happy Holidays.

Offline Anton

Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 05:43:27 AM
I was listening to re-issue of Nina Simone debute record yesterday (little girl blue). Oh man - it is so good. It is hard to believe it was recorded in 1958  - recording quality is outstanding and Nina Simone's vocal and piano are simply great. 

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline Grainger49

Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 06:45:54 AM
I received Edgar Meyer Unfolding last week.  I've played it a half dozen times already.  Truly amazing stuff.  

Thanks to Paully for introducing me to this one!

And now I have the first song stuck in my brain, an ear worm.  It rolled around all last night while I slept.  It isn't as bad as it sounds, I like it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:37:02 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:56 PM
Hey Grainger, 

I scored a copy of 'unfolding' on discogs after reading about it in your last post and I'll second that.. what an amazing album.  I have listened to it half a dozen times already and always seem to find myself lying on the floor in front of the speakers when the record needs flipping... I've always been a closet Bela fan, but I like the style of the edgar meyer album as much or better than the Flecktones music I've encountered.

If you enjoy the banjo aspect, you need to check out the Bela Fleck and Tony Trishka CD.  It has some furious pickin'.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 07:03:59 PM
I don't have that one. Edgar Meyer is one of my favorites. Do you have "uncommon Ritual"? 

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 05:51:39 AM
Hey Grainger, 

I scored a copy of 'unfolding' on discogs after reading about it in your last post and I'll second that.. what an amazing album.  I have listened to it half a dozen times already and always seem to find myself lying on the floor in front of the speakers when the record needs flipping... I've always been a closet Bela fan, but I like the style of the edgar meyer album as much or better than the Flecktones music I've encountered.

If you enjoy the banjo aspect, you need to check out the Bela Fleck and Tony Trishka CD.  It has some furious pickin'.

You should try Strength In Numbers, Telluride Sessions. The same core group went by Strength In Numbers.  It is available on Vinyl and CD.

I'm not familiar with Uncommon Ritual.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 07:17:43 PM
Well I am ordering an Eros today, so I guess I can chime in. For my birthday last week I received a box set, with all of Gustav Mahler's symphonies on 180g lps. Performed by Sir George Solti and the LSO, wow I am one lucky boy!

Cheers,
Shawn P.

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 05:47:37 PM
Wo - another Mahler fan?!?!  ...gets lonely sometimes, doesn't it? Bernstein's read of the 3rd hooked me early on. I lucked into a nearly full mint set of Haitink's readings on Philips a few years ago...  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 07:03:12 PM
Yep, we are few and far between. Got dragged to a live performance when I was 20, not very enthused as I was never into horns and big drums all that much, kinda turned off by Wagner. Left that night a Mahler fan, never heard a composer who conveyed emotion like he does. I think his ninth is my favorite, I even have a great mono copy of "Das Lied Von Der Erde".

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline grufti

Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 03:56:48 PM
I just went from Solti/Chicago and Mahler's 7th in e-minor on Decca to Ry Cooder - Bep Till You Drop with dinner in between. I don't think I could have done that without a break. Both very nice LP's though. Ry Cooder is still playing as I write this.

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 10:58:35 AM
Any Kottke fans out there?

I just recieved an assortment of Leo Kottke albums from an ebay auction that I won.  My reason for the purchase was the album "My Feet are Smiling", being the CD that got me into his music in the first place.  It is a great album, sonics on the vinyl are not what I would call first rate, but a great collection of music nonetheless.  I really like the track, "hear the wind howl".

Anyway, the real gem in the group (and a reason for the post) was one of the albums that I had never heard of, called "Dreams and All That Stuff."  Like all of Kottke's music, it features some phenomenal 12-string, but what I find really intriguing about this one is the dream-like quality that the album has.  I find myself closing my eyes and smiling through the majority of it.  I definately recommend checking it out if you are a fan of his music. (or any music for that matter)

--side note--

I found a copy of telluride sessions on vinyl.. it is also very good!  Unfortunately there is no vinyl version of "uncommon ritual", but I REALLY enjoyed the CD I found.. maybe even more than "unfolding".  Many thanks for the suggestions!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #43 on: February 11, 2012, 11:14:30 AM
Matthew, I just bought a CD of Uncommon Ritual.  I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Offline Paully

Reply #44 on: February 11, 2012, 11:58:21 AM
Got mine too.