Eros (Seduction) Spinning

Paully · 30591

Offline Grainger49

Reply #60 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:59 AM
Just released, just arrived and not even cleaned, but was dusted, Fleetwood Mac's Fleetwood Mac.  Two LPs 45 RPM and I'm listening to side two with Rhiannon (the name of our cat), Over My Head and Crystal.

The bass is BIG, the detail is like I was listening to electrostatic speakers (and I know electrostatics), This pressing is terrific!   I have had 4 or 5 different versions of this LP and my old ones are going to the "Almost Free LPs" thread.  God knows I will not outlast the new LP.

PJ, you and I are just a few years apart.  If you didn't order this one you should!  (Making assumptions you were into "pop" music way back then.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:56:17 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paully

Reply #61 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:29 AM
I would listen to it a bit more before unloading all of the others.  I enjoy the 45 RPM of Rumours, but after listening to it a bit I found that the bass is actually a bit overdone and distracting.  Somehow it just didn't seem as natural to me as the original pressing.  But perhaps I should do another comparison before I make my final decision, I am certainly not a golden ear.  But that is really the point, keep hold of one or two of the old pressings if for no other reason to be able to compare from time to time how much better the new one is.

Offline Paully

Reply #62 on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:39 AM
By the way, just got my Talk Talk "Colour of Spring" (which makes me wonder why they were spelling things that way back then) EMI reissue.  Very much looking forward to putting that on the system.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #63 on: August 01, 2012, 08:18:58 AM
Today, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Couldn't Stand The Weather and a 70s British release, JEM import, of Sandy Denny and the Strawbs, self titled Pickwick release.  I didn't know Pickwick had British releases.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:54:55 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #64 on: August 04, 2012, 10:07:44 AM
SRV, amazing, listened to his cover of Jimi Hendrix' "Little Wing" the other day, a masterful display of his guitar prowess. Listened to a disk I haven't spun in a long time today, Michael Hedges "Aerial Boundaries". Brought me back to the first time I saw him perform live, I was a freshman at Colorado State, he and the other Windham Hill artists played at Red Rocks west of Denver. That show was an amazing experience.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #65 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:59 AM
This afternoon, Runrig, Searchlight.  This is the only Runrig LP I own.  The rest are too expensive.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #66 on: August 15, 2012, 05:52:08 PM
Grainger, I picked up Recovery and Play Gaelic on Discogs a while ago. Play Gaelic was about 50 bucks w/shipping from the U.K. and Recovery was about 35. Searchlight is still relatively cheap though.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #67 on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:07 AM
I have a search for Runrig LPs but most of the starting prices are above what I would want to pay.  I admit I'm cheap.  Or it is just that I'm stuck in the 60s when LPs were $3 each, in the 70s when I bought imports they were $7 each.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #68 on: August 31, 2012, 01:52:09 AM
I recently got 5 LPs for $11 delivered.  An interesting collection:
Gene Krupa/Buddy Rich
The Everly Brothers
Kodo Taiko music
Renaissance music from Nonesuch
Stardust by Willie Nelson

All cleaned up to like new condition, a couple had to be new but dirty, and all played great except the Everly Brothers. 

That started several days of afternoons listening to all Vinyl through the Eros.

Offline Anton

Reply #69 on: September 30, 2012, 09:46:37 AM
After being on a doom/stoner metal kick for a while, I decided to change it a little bit.
I bought a Curtis Mayfiled's Super Fly (180 gram Rhino reissue). It is a very good soul album. I never listen to it before, but I really like it. Sound quality is pretty well too. Very good music
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:39:27 PM by Anton »

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline Paully

Reply #70 on: September 30, 2012, 10:09:22 AM
Cool.  I had decided I disliked the Decemberists but I made that decision based largely on the Crane Wife.  Luckily a buddy who dislikes that album too brought over the Hazards of Love, a very neat album.  Very mythological in feel of the lyrics and just an amazing concept album at first blush.  He is also into Ryan Adam's old band Whiskeytown which is kind of folksy I guess.  Anyway, introduced to two new albums that both seemed to be really good so my copies should be coming soon.

Offline Anton

Reply #71 on: October 14, 2012, 11:38:35 AM
Listening to "Hidden Orchestra" these days. If you like a contemporary jazz mixed with downtempo electronics - you going to enjoy it. These guys are from Scotland, I strongly recommend to check them out. They released 2 studio albums to date, the latest just earlier this month. Very good packagingof the vinyl version too.
Here is the link on the YouTube:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:40:43 AM by Anton »

Eros phono / Foreplay III extended upgrade / Paramount 300B/ S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switch upgrade

Offline Paully

Reply #72 on: October 22, 2012, 03:13:35 PM
The Decemberists "Hazards of Love" truly an amazing album with a mythological feel for the story line that runs through the album.  I disliked The Crane Wife so much that I wrote them off.  Glad we were reintroduced.

Online saildoctor

Reply #73 on: December 23, 2012, 07:20:26 PM
I just got Devotchka - Live with the Colorado Symphony (2 LP) Actually I'm listening to it again right now and damn- if you have heard and like this group you are really going to like this.  The Symphonic accompaniment meshes perfectly with the sound they have.  Incidentally, if you haven't heard their 2nd album Una Volta - you should.  While not the most popular of theirs it's my favorite.  It's only available on CD though.

Another album, which I cannot get enough of, is The Budos Band III.  They describe their sound as Afro-Soul- it's all instrumental.  It's a non-stop boogie of drums, saxophone, cowbell, etc!  I have heard their other albums - while they're pretty good this one is my fave.  There is a bit more diversity between songs and every one is pure gold.  They record under the Daptone Records label.  Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings are another good group on that label.

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline Grainger49

Reply #74 on: February 12, 2013, 06:06:28 AM
I did a lot of spinning yesterday.  I determined that a DCC LP wasn't as good as a first pressing I had.  I'm going to update the Almost Free LP thread some time later today.

So, Paul Simon solo LPs, Joni Mitchell Court And Spark, Boone Creek S/T, Fleetwood Mac, Jimmy Buffett and The Doors.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:41:01 AM by Grainger49 »