Electronics CE

docbob52 · 5288

Offline docbob52

on: September 09, 2013, 02:28:46 PM
I have built 8 Bottlehead kits and upgrades and I have learned not much more than practicing my soldering.  I would love  a description of what each component does in the circuits. I think it is time for Dan to provide this and I would be glad to pay extra even in retrospect for this knowledge and for future kits that I will be purchasing shortly.  It is not all about attaining great sound at a great price, but learning something along the way.  Allied Electronics and especially Heath kit proved great CE and inspired so many future engineers.  Time to step up to the plate and do the same.

Sure it is work for you wonderful guys, but I think it will play big returns.

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline odamone

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:03:34 PM
I, too, am disappointed with the knowledge gained after constructing my kit. I got great at following instructions and soldering, but didn't get anywhere close to the why behind the what. I would pay extra for detailed explanations as well.

CD -> FLAC -> Squeezebox Touch -> Rega DAC -> PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated Amplifier -> Quad 22L2

Oliver

Offline saildoctor

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:10:26 PM
Before I had built any Bottlehead kits I had no knowledge of tube electronics design but had taken electronics courses in college.  Once I had a kit or two under my belt I read from the firehose of information available on the web including this forum and the older archived Bottlehead forum.  With a little bit of searching I can always find more information publicly available that I have time to digest.  This website alone should take a few years to get through:  http://www.tubebooks.org/index.html

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 05:23:47 PM
Interesting topic... From my experience, this is such a HUGE topic, that one needs to take it slow, at ones pace. I have chosen to take it piece by piece. Ex. I have done some reading on how tubes work, etc. I dont feel that it's the responsibility of Bottlehead to educate. Thats my opinion...

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Mike B

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 05:33:59 PM
I am not interested in paying more to educate.

You want to learn electronic theory, take a class.

Read the interwebs.  Do it yourself. 

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 06:09:07 PM
We attempted to do classes earlier this year. The first class, about reading schematics, was reasonably well attended. The next class about soldering technique was not. And there didn't seem to be any interest in further classes. (NB, interest doesn't mean +1ing someone's post, it means saying "sign me up").

But the OP is asking for descriptions of what each part does, not a class. I have attempted this with a kit manual in the past, damned if I can remember which one. But one of them had discussion of what the parts you were installing did - without writing a text on the subject. I don't know that it would be economically feasible to do this with existing manuals. For the few that suggest they are willing to pay more for some added value there always seem to be hundreds who want us to cut prices to the quick. But we will discuss the idea of doing it in the future.

All that said, there are indeed plenty of resources on the web about what a coupling cap is, how parafeed works, power supply design, etc.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline docbob52

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:51:47 AM
Dan,  Your classes are a total non event for us here in Alabama and the rest of the US not close to your home.  Sorry you are worried about all those that are worried about your kits costing too much.  IMHO this is a total non-evernt. Your products are a bargain for what they do.  Most of the cheap-asses  have Harley's in their  garage worth 50K.  I really do not understand you not elevating your products to the next level with important Continuing Education for us all.

And yes I have 29 tube books here which I have read and not been able to understand your products.

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 11:05:50 AM
FWIW, I understand both arguments, but I will say that there is a world of difference between reading about something in the abstract in a text book, vs. learning what each component does as you build a real-world project.

I can suggest a compromise...writing and proofing such a text can be time-consuming and tedious. How about a video? This can be fairly informal and off the cuff. Just walk us through each section of, say, a Crack or a Quickie, and explain what it does, how the values of the components are selected, what you are trying to optimize for, etc. That might be less work than writing a text on the subject.

Just don't make it a 5-minute video. I'm thinking something that is more like 30 minutes to really do it justice. You don't have to do any editing or fancy tricks, just set up a camera and start talking.

This is meant to be a helpful suggestion, not a criticism or complaint.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 11:43:26 AM
I appreciate the intentions of what you guys are saying. These days we are working away at large numbers of kit orders and there are just 4 of us to get the work done. Consequently we have hired outside help for our bookkeeping, web design, and several other things that Eileen and I used to do ourselves, in order to keep the kits flowing out to the brown trucks. That has to remain our number one priority for a while, and we also have new products to complete and release and I still have my second job taking part of my time. So if I don't deliver what is requested here in the near future, please understand that it's not because I have abandoned the idea, it's just because our plate is really full.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 12:04:00 PM
There's also no performance gains to be had in any kit by including full technical details in the manual.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline azrockitman

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 12:37:43 PM
I wish I could recall the exact exploratory path that I took to get to BH, but the best I recall, I was poking around on craigslist to see what used tube equipment sold for and that search ultimately brought me to the BH site.  Poking around on the products page for a few weeks led me to order my first kit last year (s.e.x.) and I'm now on my third currently.  (Damn, I'm not done yet....I keep getting interrupted with "life" things......jeez!!!")

I don't know that I would be in favor of any change to the business model other than more!, faster!.   ;D   I've been on all sides of the cost spectrum on product procurement in my life and it appears this audience fits that mold too.  There are some on this forum that are retired, some gainfully employed, some wealthy, some not.  Yet all are fans of the analog tube sound and tinkering too much with the business model would either dilute the experience or leave it only to those with higher income/assets. 

I would love relevant, specific, educational type knowledge...."this is what this thing does, and it causes this thing to do that thing....." on every product, but I personally think the cost/benefit/desirability quotient is pretty much perfect, for this fan, as it is.  I would pay for some education within reason but I would not want it baked into the price.  No more than I would want to pay for the requirement to have an impedance switch included in every applicable kit...when if one knows what exact purpose they are going to use the kit for, they can dispense with that cost and extra time and wire it for the specific impedance necessary.

just one BH fan's opinion

Esoteric DV-50, Technics SL1200-M3D, B&K Phono 10 Preamp, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III, Bottlehead Stereomour, Orca's

Offline adamct

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 12:55:19 PM
There's also no performance gains to be had in any kit by including full technical details in the manual.

Understood. I don't think anyone is looking for performance gains, just an educational experience.

Offline adamct

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 01:11:38 PM
I would love relevant, specific, educational type knowledge...."this is what this thing does, and it causes this thing to do that thing....." on every product, but I personally think the cost/benefit/desirability quotient is pretty much perfect, for this fan, as it is.  I would pay for some education within reason but I would not want it baked into the price.  No more than I would want to pay for the requirement to have an impedance switch included in every applicable kit...when if one knows what exact purpose they are going to use the kit for, they can dispense with that cost and extra time and wire it for the specific impedance necessary.

Well, I don't think you would need to provide such a detailed explanation for every kit, necessarily. Starting out with just one would be a huge help. And long term, if you did it for, say, one headphone amp, one speaker amp and one pre-amp (or whatever the best examples are), then I think that would cover the bases. And I don't think there is a real financial/cash cost component to what I've suggested above. Doc already has a video camera. Plunk it on a tripod and talk. Then upload the raw, unedited video to YouTube. The true cost is in time, which -- believe me -- I understand is in short supply.

I'm not suggesting this is a trivial task, just that it doesn't have to increase the price of the kits. I don't think we need to turn Bottlehead into a textbook publisher or an institution of higher learning. But some additional information would be helpful, and that information can be communicated in whatever the cheapest, easiest, most efficient manner is.

The thought of writing a textbook about even the most elemental basics of my profession makes we want to go lie down, pull a blanket over my head, and take a nap. That's true even if you told me you were just looking for a 10-page synopsis. But if you walked into my office and asked me teach you the basics in 30 minutes, I could do it right off the cuff and do a pretty good job. Would it be perfect? No. Would it have footnotes and cross-references for further reading? No. But you would walk out of my office knowing a hell of a lot more about my work than you did when you walked in. And I wouldn't even charge you for it...  ;)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 01:15:18 PM
Does it occur to anyone that this technical support forum with 45,000 posts and 12 million page views might be serving the purpose to some extent?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adamct

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 01:25:49 PM
It occurred to me, but I don't think it really does. There is a world of difference between snippets here and there, vs. someone walking you through the circuit in a logical and coherent manner.

Moreover, I don't really think the stuff that we are interested in is anywhere in the forums anyway. There is lots of stuff about caps and volume pots and tantalum resistors and whatnot. I've been reading every post that gets posted here for months and months now, and I've done a lot of digging in the forum. But I still don't know much or have a "big picture" view of how these amps work.

To be clear, if you guys can't do this, then I'll understand (although I'll be disappointed). I was just trying to point out a way that this could be done with relatively minimal effort if you decided it was something you would consider doing. FWIW, I think this would have strong marketing potential, too. Tyll's video on the Crack must have been a big marketing boost, too.