Display type for BH DAC

John Swenson · 7055

Offline debk

Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 11:24:41 PM
My vote would be whatever is most expedient and convenient, as the sonic impact of these decisions is zilch.

I couldn't agree more!

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline saildoctor

Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 05:46:16 AM
I fourth that!  :) 

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 05:47:04 AM
I'd fifth it, but I quit drinking...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 05:52:48 AM
Dan,

You make me laugh!  There are no "fifths" any more.  That was a fifth of a gallon, a cheap way to sell a premium liquor against a quart of a cheaper one.

Some time I will look at the new metric "equivalents" and see how much we who still drink are being cheated.

You have to be as old as Dan, Paul J, and I to know what I'm talking about.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 03:42:38 PM
If a display were useful to me, I'd vote for the  easiest and simplest as well, but really I'll opt for the non-display version. ;-)

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 05:42:49 PM
For me the display is not something I would be looking at all the time, or would want to. I would just like to verify that a hi res download was working from time to time. If that was deciphering a pattern, Binary style or counting down a row of LED's, that would be fine.

Another vote for whatever is easiest...John   

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 01:03:37 AM
If a display were useful to me, I'd vote for the  easiest and simplest as well, but really I'll opt for the non-display version. ;-)

-- Jim

It took me a second, then I looked at the poster.  I laughed.  True, you need a speaking interface.

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 10:07:09 PM
My vote would be whatever is most expedient and convenient, as the sonic impact of these decisions is zilch.

Agree and therefore +1 to the suggestion of a standard brightness that's on the "dimmer" side (i.e. not too bright). Overly bright LEDs is one of the biggest aesthetic complaints I seem to read about.

I would definitely use the display as the reality check mentioned earlier to ensure correct output settings from the PC media player, but I wouldn't want it to be a stand-out feature of the unit - for me it's just a resource tool so as long as it looks complete and finished, I'm happy.

No doubt others will find crazy and wonderful ways to modify the stock display design in no time.

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 05:51:47 AM
Ok, so we definitely won't use a 7w Cree projector lens led.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 05:58:48 AM
I can't say that I entirely agree. Sure, the sonic impact is zilch, but it is worth making the right decision upfront, rather than having every kit builder be forced to implement a work around as a result of making an expedient, but impractical, decision just to keep things moving. If you read equipment reviews, people tend to spend as much time on the practicalities of a device as they do on the sound quality. Maybe that reflects misplaced priorities, or maybe it reflects real life. Stuff that is irritating to use in practice winds up being an annoyance, even if the sound is great.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to switch the display on and off. That seems way more useful that a system that would force you to plug or unplug the display module. And it also seems much simpler than implementing a dimming mechanism.

As for the kind of display, I'm indifferent, as long as it is useful and easy to understand. If two rows of the red and green LEDs are the simplest way to do it, I can live with that, although I can't say that I love it.

I do like the idea of using different color LEDs for different sample rates. If you know what color you expect to appear, it would be obvious if a different color lights up as the sample rate changes. Just so I understand, what is it that makes this difficult? Are you saying that the problem is that (A) in order to get 8 different colors, you would have to use multi-color LEDs (because there aren't enough different kinds of single-color LEDs), which in turn requires a complex circuit in order to change their color, or are you saying that (B) because different color LEDs have different characteristics (e.g., in terms of the voltage drop), you would have to design the circuit to compensate for those differences, which would then be complicated?

Offhand, I seem to remember the following colors being fairly common among single-color LEDs:

1. Red
2. Orange / Amber
3. Yellow
4. Green
5. Blue
6. Purple / Violet
7. White

If you need 8, I would be fine with just doubling up on one color. You could either (i) double up on the two least-common sample rates, or (ii) double up on the first and last sample rates, with the assumption that people can figure out which one is lit based on position (something that is easier when comparing, say, position #1 vs. #8, than it is when comparing position #3 vs. #4).

Thanks for your work on this, John.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 08:42:13 AM
Once we come out with the Nixie display the other choices will likely die on the vine. Then the two choices will be "OOh pretty" in which case you plug in the nixie display, and "who needs a display? the thing automatically sets the sample rate for me" in which case you run without any display. That second version is working quite well for me at the moment.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Online denti alligator

Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 10:21:58 AM
But with the Nixies we can still say it's got tubes. That's important, even if those tubes aren't in the audio path.   ;)

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable