C4S Voltage Problem

Adrian · 1732

Offline Adrian

on: May 23, 2014, 08:13:11 PM
I installed the C4S upgrade to my S.E.X. and get 0 to -0.1 VDC at OB and pin B5 instead of 75 VDC.
All of the diodes light well and the valve heaters work.
I checked all other voltages and they are all good with the exception of B6 reading 0.1 VDC vice 2.5 VDC.
I removed the board and connections and thoroughly cleaned the board with Isopropyl alcohol.
I carefully reflowed all solder joints and replaced the twisted pair at IB/OB.
All board components are in the correct position and the transistors are correctly aligned with the 2907A transistor bodies not touching the pads.
I reinstalled the unit and reconnected with the same result:  all voltages good with the exception of OB/B5 at about 0 VDC and B6 at about 0 VDC.
I'm not getting anything out of the left channel (OB) - I should be getting the 75 VDC at the plate.

I'm at a loss here.  Could I have a damaged transitor?  Are there other checks (resistance or voltage) I can take to narrow in on the problem?

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Adrian

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 03:43:31 AM
I've gone through the threads on "C4S Voltaage" and resoldered the center leg to the MJE transistor going to OB. I checked the continuity between the center leg of the MJE transistors and A5/B5 on both channels and I have good continuity to A5 but an open circuit on B5.  I think I have isolated my problem to the connection at the left channel MJE transistor.  I'm going to remove the C4S from the circuit so I can better reconnect the MJE.
Is there anyway to check the transistor to see if it is still good (not damaged from heat, etc.)?

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Adrian

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 06:07:18 AM
I found that the MJE transistor center leg (collector) for the left channel did not have continuity between it's pad and the OB pad on the board.
I put in a jumper between the 2 pads (picture below).
All resistances and voltages are "spot on" and it sounds great!

Adrian C.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:33:45 AM
Yeah, 0V at the output is most often that pesky center leg.

While I don't recommend the jumper, I do recommend not using much solder, but heating it until you see it suck into the board a little bit, which means it is wicking along the center leg through the plated hole in the PC board.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:10:32 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Adrian

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 07:34:01 AM
PB:  I really tried to not get too much solder.  We'll see how this jumper works. Maybe it will last forever and work great.

Adrian C.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 10:06:51 AM
who you callin a little bitch?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Adrian

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 02:15:22 AM
Paul/Doc: Actually I was tempted to call the PC Board a little bitch.
There was no connection (continuity) between the two pads and I did not want to order another board and strip this one (or maybe just buy a new C4s), so I did it the DIYer way and got the job done.

Adrian C.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 07:10:57 AM
Oops, autocorrect strikes again :(

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man