3D imaging pre-amp

rlyach · 10665

Offline aragorn723

Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 02:14:50 PM
Bonzo,

Do you notice a difference by putting the speakers further apart?  Sounds like this gizmo is pretty handy for less than optimal setups.

Dave

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 08:30:38 PM
No, I didn't!
This is a bedroom setup, I cannot change speaker setup due to small space  :'(

But this circuit is really surprising! Bass seems to have increased a bit after 20 hours of use.

Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 03:02:36 PM
cool!  Looking for some Russian caps now, gonna build one of these babies to play with :)

Dave

Offline aragorn723

Reply #48 on: November 11, 2015, 01:14:44 PM
Hi,

Would it be possible to switch the output on this 3d preamp box?  One side of the switch would be for rca outputs, and the other would be to a 1/4" headphone output (this would allow you plug an ipod's output to the 3d preamp input, then connect headphones to its output).  Thanks,

Dave

Offline Karl5150

Reply #49 on: November 17, 2015, 02:36:53 PM
So I built one following the drawings and the shopping list. (The shopping list has 240k and the drawings show 249k) I notice 2 things on first play:
 1- while it doesn't give the illusion that the music is coming from somewhere out in front of me, it definitely gives a fuller depth presentation to the music playing in my head.
 2- the potentiometer works backwards, what would normally be all the way down gives the most effect, turning it "up" lessens the effect.
I checked several times and my build wiring matches the drawings and photos.
Similar/different experiences?
Thanks for any input.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Bonzo

Reply #50 on: November 17, 2015, 07:20:07 PM
So I built one following the drawings and the shopping list. (The shopping list has 240k and the drawings show 249k) I notice 2 things on first play:
 1- while it doesn't give the illusion that the music is coming from somewhere out in front of me, it definitely gives a fuller depth presentation to the music playing in my head.
 2- the potentiometer works backwards, what would normally be all the way down gives the most effect, turning it "up" lessens the effect.
I checked several times and my build wiring matches the drawings and photos.
Similar/different experiences?
Thanks for any input.
Karl

Karl, it mirrors my experience exactly.
My first thought were the sound was slightly "above" the center of my head...

I forgot: the pot works backwards too!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:21:59 PM by Bonzo »

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #51 on: November 18, 2015, 01:27:47 PM
Is there any way to make the pot go the right way?

Dave

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #52 on: November 18, 2015, 05:39:56 PM
I would need to check the schematic to be sure, but I would think that you could reveres the 2 end connections at the pot...John   

John S.

Offline Bonzo

Reply #53 on: November 18, 2015, 07:05:45 PM
Is there any way to make the pot go the right way?

Dave

For me it's not a real problem: it's a bit counterintuitive, I admit, but it's not "plain wrong"...we're dealing with an "effect", not with a volume control  ;)
Ciao!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline Karl5150

Reply #54 on: November 19, 2015, 04:49:08 AM
This does have quite an insertion loss. Using my SEX 2.1 at work to burn it in, it is taking a significant twist of the volume pots to get it up to normal listening levels. On the plus side, I notice the "fuller" effect it has on the sound, albeit with a little loss of the laser sharp imaging the system usually has.

Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Bonzo

Reply #55 on: November 19, 2015, 07:26:34 AM
This does have quite an insertion loss. Using my SEX 2.1 at work to burn it in, it is taking a significant twist of the volume pots to get it up to normal listening levels. On the plus side, I notice the "fuller" effect it has on the sound, albeit with a little loss of the laser sharp imaging the system usually has.

Karl

You'd better buy a quickie...  ;D ;D ;D

Bisogna avere orecchio!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #56 on: November 19, 2015, 05:04:29 PM
Funny, I have the reverse problem, way too much gain (with a solid state amp):)  The Quickie is pretty nice though, it beats the NAD and Cary ones I used to have (with pjccs).

Dave

Offline aragorn723

Reply #57 on: November 24, 2015, 08:19:43 AM
Got a newbee question on the parts list from the first page.  The part number listed for the switch doesn't look like the right one ( i pulled it up on parts express and a SPST switch came up).  Can someone help me find the right one?  Searching by DPST at PE gives me a switch with spade connectors, or one with screw connectors (I would prefer solder tab).  Thanks in advance!

Dave

Offline aragorn723

Reply #58 on: June 08, 2017, 09:38:35 AM
Has anyone tried to bypass this pre-amp?  I built one and it is definitely nice.  Like others, i definitely agree that it has a LOT of insertion loss.  There is an on/off switch for the circuit which turns off the 3d part, but the insertion loss is still there regardless of switch position.  Is there a way to add a bypass/defeat switch into the circuit that would eliminate the effect of the insertion loss?  Sometimes I just want more volume, and would definitely be a fun toy to play with! (and nice not to have to disconnect everything to do that).

Dave