So I wanted to do something different

corndog71 · 10504

Offline corndog71

on: September 17, 2012, 04:42:11 PM
I love my Quickie!  So many kudos to PJ and Doc for this awesome little kit.
Nevertheless I wanted to expand on what was started.  I missed the dual mono pots of my old Foreplay 2.  I used PEC 100K pots.  I liked the idea of switching the signal and ground leads for each source ala Foreplay 3.  Got a fancy Goldpoint selector switch for that.  I learned that the power supply caps don't have to be so big so I opted for a replacement using Erse Pulse X 51uf poly caps.  I wanted dual outputs for potentially adding a subwoofer.  Above all I wanted a more traditional chassis and layout.

So I let all that stew in my head and on paper as I sourced the parts and came up with this.  

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi576.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss207%2Fcorndog642%2FBottlehead%2520Quickie%2F07d849ff.jpg&hash=e0fd55e0b2697337d58deebaac6cd32d71d92dbd)

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi576.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss207%2Fcorndog642%2FBottlehead%2520Quickie%2FIMG_6781_zpsea11e3b9.jpg&hash=ee9559a73dae99b92fc83ee60c0b9eb8030be700)

Other features include the PJCCS, paralleled D cells for longer play time, Dynamat Extreme lining the Hammond box to help damp vibrations, and a speakon connector which goes to those Power Sonic batteries you guys have seen with my original Quickie.

There are still a few things to take care of:  Peeling off the protective plastic from the box, getting some new tubes, making the front face pretty, and adding some better knobs and finally a 3rd set of input jacks.

So far it sounds good!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:06:28 AM by corndog71 »

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:43:42 PM
wow! nice! Watch out Red Wine Audio!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:45:32 PM
Great work, great work.  A round of applause from all of us in the cheap seats who love seeing this type of innovation.  You've inspired me to do more with my quickie.
Great job!!!

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:45:56 PM
I am totally lovin' this!

When we came out with the Quickie, I was hoping that (like the original Foreplay) it would be a springboard for experimenting and trying new things. My hope was not in vain, it turns out. :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:37:16 AM
Well, I like the knobs, very early Levinson looking.  I admire the long shafts to keep the audio path short.

But where are the 9V batteries? 

Offline corndog71

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:11:33 AM
Well, I like the knobs, very early Levinson looking.  I admire the long shafts to keep the audio path short.

But where are the 9V batteries?  

We don't need no stinkin' 9V batteries!
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi576.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss207%2Fcorndog642%2F15bf39d5.jpg&hash=1f7cdcca867f63d6f579894b3f6687b114375f8e)

Eventually I plan on putting the Power Sonic batteries into an enclosure with connections for charging them individually.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:46:29 AM by corndog71 »

Rob

Offline corndog71

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:22:59 PM
After several hours of listening I've found it sounds even better than I anticipated.  Fast!  Wide and deep soundstage!  The Ken-Rad tubes I threw in there were a bit hazy sounding at first but have opened up nicely.  I almost wrote them off when I tried them in my original quickie.  I'm hearing more of that single end triode sound I get from my sex amp.  At first I thought maybe the bass end was lacking a bit.  I could easily discern bass guitar lines in songs but the kick drum sometimes got lost.  Turns out I just needed to turn it up.  I cranked it and kick drums came through with a speed and authority usually associated with high power solid state amps!  Of course the quality of the recording matters too.  So if you want to take your quickie to the next level you may want to try some of these changes.  I can't say for certain but I really think the erse caps made a big difference.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:42:11 PM
Hey Rob - have you tried the chokes? - dont mean to through a hook in the whole thing, but you have so much room in there! I personally, like the sound of the chokes. Sexy, tubie stuff. Like being at a 60's concert. Just sayin. Currious what your take on them are.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline corndog71

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:03:45 AM
Hey Rob - have you tried the chokes? - dont mean to through a hook in the whole thing, but you have so much room in there! I personally, like the sound of the chokes. Sexy, tubie stuff. Like being at a 60's concert. Just sayin. Currious what your take on them are.

I haven't looked at chokes for the quickie but I'm open-minded.  Do you have any recommendations?

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:29:01 PM
I just followed the bottlehead crowd to the Hammond 156C. I think they were about $15 a pop.

Eric

Offline the dude

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 07:57:40 AM
Way to go CORnDAWG!
Like the alternative battery ideas too!

Maker of fine true ribbon loudspeakers and modifier of everything. . .

Offline corndog71

Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 05:27:17 AM
I appreciate all of the kudos from you guys but it aint all peaches and cream.  Despite the improvements in overall sound, the noise floor is higher than it should be.  I'm getting quite a bit of hum and hissing.  I was able to cut some of the hum down by connecting the chassis to the negative side of the 36VDC supply.  I also noticed when I touch the chassis with one hand and touch the top of one of the tubes with my other hand a lot of the hum disappears.  Perhaps having those big caps right next to the tubes isn't such a great idea.  I broke out some tube shields and placed them over the 3S4s and that helped a little but still not really good enough.  I guess this is one of those ground loop issues people talk about sometimes.  My Dynaco MkIVs are on each side of the Quickie and probably need to be moved away further.  So it's still a work in progress.  :-\

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:28:53 AM by corndog71 »

Rob

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 05:40:13 AM
Have you grounded the chassis to another piece of gear?

Having the shields and chassis at earth should be very helpful to you (you may only need the chassis earthed in the end).

Keep going and post back!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 06:10:54 AM
   .  .  .   I also noticed when I touch the chassis with one hand and touch the top of one of the tubes with my other hand a lot of the hum disappears.  .  .  .   

Interesting.  This is the same thing Sam, Denti Alligator, has going on with his Seduction.  I'll be following to see what helps you.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 07:44:21 AM
The hum from my Quickie disappeared after I grounded it to my DAC. It has to be a very good circuit.

Eric