Bottlehead DAC - making it happen with Kickstarter?

Doc B. · 17818

Offline denti alligator

Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 04:13:14 AM
I understand that an almost 50% jump in projected price is something to think about, but we all know that Doc isn't going to put something out until it is right and worth having.

First of all, it's more like a 25% jump (Doc projected $1,000-1,200). And second, he also warned us that it was an estimate, and that he didn't want us to hold it against him if it went up.

I'm bummed it is higher, but by no means will I stop trying to get one. Brand loyalty has a whole new meaning with BH. And since digital is, after all, the future, this a DAC is a must.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 04:22:12 AM
I'm not trying to get into Doc's business, but if he can get 20 or more of us to commit to buy and willing to pay up front, why does he need Kickstarter? Exposure???

It's more that Kickstarter is a really transparent way to organize this.  We don't (yet) have the capabilities to easily run something like this where any customer could see the number of units sold, and know when the project is funded.  For new customers who haven't bought from Bottlehead before, using Kickstarter as the middleman should provide some peace of mind.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 07:10:29 AM
Thank you Robert!

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FSmiles%2FTipHat.gif&hash=e6ef7f0d5488d01ff7ef90294fc834dbd255538c)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 08:41:36 AM
I'm gonna try and raise the funds, but I don't know.  Doc, I was sure the price wouldn't be lowered; just worried a bit it might go up.

I don't believe Kickstarter would allow us to raise the price, even if we wanted to.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline debk

Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 08:48:41 AM
So when is this going to happen?  I know in my previous post I was on the fence, but I am on board now.
Don't want Grainger to miss out on this!  :)

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #50 on: May 15, 2014, 08:58:23 AM
I know Dan appreciates the startup support, and so do I.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 09:00:47 AM
I am working with someone on their kickstarter today, to learn a little more about it. We will get it going as soon as I feel like I have everything in place.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 09:22:15 AM
I'm gonna try and raise the funds, but I don't know.  Doc, I was sure the price wouldn't be lowered; just worried a bit it might go up.

I don't believe Kickstarter would allow us to raise the price, even if we wanted to.

I meant once it's up on the site here.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 09:30:11 AM

As I mentioned before, it may not be available as a product to purchase after the kickstarter.  That is uncertain at this point. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #54 on: May 15, 2014, 09:40:47 AM
Da Da Daaaaahhhhh, now all of us fence sitters are quivering even more.  To commit sight unseen and ears unheard or to jump into the cold stream with all the other BH's, that is the question.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline caffeinator

Reply #55 on: May 15, 2014, 10:20:46 AM
To borrow a line from Mad Max:

"This is a threshold moment, Johnny. Step through."

Offline denti alligator

Reply #56 on: May 15, 2014, 11:45:37 AM

As I mentioned before, it may not be available as a product to purchase after the kickstarter.  That is uncertain at this point.

Oh, I thought you had to order 150 or more of a certain part and were using kickstarter to finance that initial buy. What would happen to the other 130 parts?

- Sam

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 12:07:29 PM
Oh, I thought you had to order 150 or more of a certain part and were using kickstarter to finance that initial buy. What would happen to the other 130 parts?

Yes, the Kickstarter will finance the initial run and these obnoxious minimum order quantities.  It will also give us the ability to produce the boards at an affordable price with sufficient guaranteed orders.  We are going to do our best to keep the costs of the kit under control, which may mean that our overstock of DAC specific parts may sit on a shelf at the assembly house for a while. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mSummers

Reply #58 on: May 15, 2014, 12:35:37 PM
I think the Kickstarter scenario is a good way to get this going.

However, $1,500 is above the price that I can afford to spend right now.  At that price, I would want to hear it first to make sure I can hear a difference.

My other concern is the battery.  I know it is included because it helps with the sonic qualities, but what happens down the road when it needs replacing.  Do we know that replacements will be available?  If for some reason a suitable replacement can't be found for whatever reason, could the DAC run without a battery installed?  I apologize if any of those battery questions have been previously answered.  I must have missed them.

- Michael

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #59 on: May 15, 2014, 12:48:10 PM
My other concern is the battery.  I know it is included because it helps with the sonic qualities, but what happens down the road when it needs replacing.  Do we know that replacements will be available?  If for some reason a suitable replacement can't be found for whatever reason, could the DAC run without a battery installed?

The battery is an SLA7-6.  This is a very popular battery for uninterruptible power supplies used for computing, so they are generally widely available and should be in production for quite some time to come. 

The DAC can be run without a battery installed, and there will be a switch position on the stock unit that would allow for this if you happen to need to replace the battery and are stuck waiting on shipping. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland