Buzzing sound above 55-60% volume with speedball [resolved]

Kukumu · 804

Offline Kukumu

Hey all!
New Crack+speedball owner here. This was my first time building something like this all by myself.

Let me start with that the base Crack worked flawlessly, no noise, just a pleasant sound all around.
However, ever since installing the speedball upgrade, a really noticable buzzing sound is present whenever I turn the volume up to 55-60% and getting louder as I turn it up more. Now I know that territory, above 60% is basically ear hurting, just mentioned it if it would help. I usually listen around 50-55%

All LEDs are lit up, all resistance and voltage checks are good. The only 2 values that are slightly off are OA: 113V and OB: 105V on the big board.
Do you think by doing the mod mentioned by Paul https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11676.0 would solve or at least mitigate this? Or its a completely unrelated issue/or this is normal and that fix wouldnt work? The buzzing sound is gone if I disconnect the DAC from the Crack.

I used basic 60/40 solder, with the soldering iron at 380 °C
I attached some pictures, would be happy to make some more if you need it.
Thank you!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 05:42:29 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 04:29:25 AM
Do you get this noise with your source connected and powered up? The diode mod may help, but if the noise is there with no source plugged into the RCA jacks, then there's nothing to worry about.  Likewise if you turn the volume knob up enough to hear the noise but that is way louder than you'd ever listen with your headphones, that would also indicate that this isn't something that needs to be hunted down.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Kukumu

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 04:48:20 AM
Hello Paul! Thanks for the reply.
I'm using a Topping D90SE as a DAC and my PC as the source for the DAC. When I unplug the USB cable between the PC and the DAC the noise is gone, when I plug it back in, the noise is there. Same if I power off my PC, the noise is gone. Just for reference, this doesn't happen with my A90 amp.
If I unplug the RCA jacks, the noise is also gone

edit: I will try to get a laptop or different PC tomorrow to test that as well and get back with a new comment tomorrow
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 04:58:13 AM by Kukumu »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 05:08:23 AM
The diode modification should resolve your issue.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Kukumu

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 04:27:39 AM
I finally got around adding the diode mod and can confirm, Crack+SB is now dead silent. Thanks for the help Paul!
Happy holidays to everyone at BH HQ!