Quickie internal cable upgrade

m17xr2b · 1660

Offline m17xr2b

on: August 31, 2014, 01:37:37 AM
Hi all, I have some leftover OCC silver plated 20AWG cable and I was wandering if using this instead of the standard cables(including the battery ones) would make a difference in the sound.

As for my quickie mods I swapped the power caps with Axon true caps 75uf and the output caps with MR ClarityCap 630V 2.7uf. PJCCS is installed.
Standard volume pot was changed with an ALPS one and I am using Telefunken DL92. I like them more then all my other ones.
To the base of the wood case I added some thick foam to stop the microfonics and and added tube dampers as well.
What this does is it adds that special something to the sound but I want to take the quickie all the way if possible.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:52:42 AM
I wouldn't replace the DC wiring.  But the signal wire is worth upgrading.  That is from the input RCAs to the switch, to the volume control, into the tube and out of the tube to the output RCAs.  That last run is probably all a capacitor.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:39:29 PM
did you make all of the upgrades at once?  i've been thinking about replacing the stock quickie pot too and was wondering if you heard any difference in the music by changing it.

Dave

Offline m17xr2b

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 06:49:10 AM
Unfortunately I did not build the stock quickie first. I added all the upgraded components from the beginning. What I have read on the forum is that a pot upgrade would fix the channel imbalance. I know that my crack had this problem and as far as I can tell the pot from the quickie is the same with the one from the crack.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 11:40:38 AM
Check the specifications for pots - it is very hard to find a pot with good tracking at low volume, but very easy to find post with "better" resistive material and/or better sliding contacts.

I put "better" in quotes for resistive material because there is a distinct lack of consensus about what is best or what the problems are with non-best.

Paul Joppa

Offline m17xr2b

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 04:56:17 AM
Well I changed signal wires and made some interconnects with the leftover occ cable to replace the cheap ones. I did not expect any significant changes but my God it sounds good. Everything is clearer more dynamic, bass goes deeper and seems more refined. This takes my LCD-3F to the next level.

Thank you Bottlehead.