Woo! Stereomour kit arrived today!

pRC · 4328

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 06:04:44 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous work !  I knew there would be some vibration damping somewhere.  But that top plate will be hard to vibrate anyway.

Congratulations on another beautiful piece of work.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 07:42:56 AM
Sweet build and I really like the thick wood base you have made it looks great.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 08:39:22 AM

* Fixed 75 ohm input resistance - tantalum
I'm hoping that's a typo.

This amp is looking pretty cool, it's also refreshing to see the amount of time being spent to get it right!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pRC

• Demented creator of il monstro...
    • cognitivevent.com
Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 08:59:07 AM
I'm hoping that's a typo.

This amp is looking pretty cool, it's also refreshing to see the amount of time being spent to get it right!

Oops, good catch - 75k ohm - fixed the original post!

Thanks for the note, and the helpful tips in earlier projects you posted on the Stereomour..

/pRC

Offline pRC

• cognitivevent.com
Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 09:03:09 AM
Wow! What a beauty!
What did you use to cover the chokes? Looks very nice!

Ciao!

Thanks! The choke covers are from an office supplies store, I bought them years ago. Stackable half-high pencil holders for paperclips, etc. - steel. I painted them with the same 'dusted'  hammertone in silver used on the power transformer bell.

Other crazy changes -
* Used Chris Ven Haus foamed EP insulated 20ga solid copper for about half the wiring
* Green wire for filaments for that old-school look, easier to suss out low from high voltage lines...
* JB welded 1/4-20 bolts to the underside of the top plate with chassis hardware to hold the top plate down onto the base. Top plate is pretty dead with all that contact area around the sides.

/pRC
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:39:54 AM by pRC »

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 11:46:44 AM
I spied your Eastern Electric Dac in one of the pics how do you find it with the Stereomour or tubes in general? I have nearly pushed the buy button on one a couple of times over the last 12 months.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline pRC

• cognitivevent.com
Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 01:17:42 PM
I spied your Eastern Electric Dac in one of the pics how do you find it with the Stereomour or tubes in general? I have nearly pushed the buy button on one a couple of times over the last 12 months.

Love it, and I've had it since 2010.

The op-amps are socketed and there are a variety to try, kinda fun, but I like the 12AU7 output better. The single tube is accessed from a port on the back panel, so you can roll away without removing the case, and you can hear differences between tubes -- I've been able to put those old Foreplay 12AU7 purchases back to work.

As you know it has a Sabre DAC and a variety of digital inputs. I only wish the input switch had a remote control sometimes so I could switch between TV, BluRay, and the Laptop easily, but that is pure laziness and not a reason to not buy the thing. And they may have fixed this by now, but my version will not accept hi-def PCM via USB so I'm using a USB-SPDIF converter from the MacBook for music as a workaround since all the other inputs *will* accept hi-def files.

I've A-B'd it against an Altman DAC with battery power and much preferred the EE.

And it works fine standing on it's side!

Sheesh, 2010 digital, that's ancient.

/pRC
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:20:09 PM by pRC »