The worst thing about digital music...

mcandmar · 4445

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
on: July 27, 2014, 05:35:02 AM
Backups!  I had a 2tb drive die over the weekend with my entire Music collection on it :'(   

I "think" i have a copy on another drive from about a year or so ago, really crossing my fingers i have, but everything i have discovered since then is gone.

Take this is a warning, backup your music collection folks. Just go buy an external hard drive and make a copy before its too late.

Mark.

M.McCandless

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:17:14 AM
Not that this is a cheap idea, but you could buy a TB drive every two years and use the new one for backup, the old one for working from.  Then two years later you get a new backup and the working drive goes into the trash.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:22:42 AM
Sorry to hear that Mark, its also a something I have been conscious of for sometime while I rarely purchase downloads so it not all doom and gloom here for such an event. However having to repopulate a drive from cd is a real chore and I only ever do so selectively rather than comprehensively.

I believe apple can repopulate past iTunes purchases

Are there any cloud based options for this?   

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Chris

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:03:47 AM
That DOES massively suck.. I am a little worried for the past 2 times I have fired up my Seagate HD with all my music on it. It is making some grinding noises that I am not diggin'... I hear western digital is reliable???  This is an important issue for me as well...

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:31:55 AM
Sorry to hear you lost files. Happened to me a few years back. Call me paranoid, but since then, I keep all music files and documents redundant on a NAS 6Tb RAID 5 configured (Raid 5 takes care of single discs dying on you) plus I keep redundant copies on my local HD as well and Time Machine does hourly backups on top of that....

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 08:34:08 AM
Yeah, I'll give a +1 on Raid 5.  I have a machine running a 4 drive array in Raid 5, and one drive died on me a while back.  I went to Fry's, bought a new one, swapped out the dead drive, and the raid controller put everything back in line in about 20 minutes and it was like nothing ever happened.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 08:40:59 AM
Funny you should say it, i have been using Western Digital black series drives for years as i've always had the most reliability with them.  Currently there are four WD 1tb drives in my machine setup as a raid that were one of the first 1tb drives to hit the market.  The drive that died, that was a two year old Seagate ::)

I can remember a time when Seagate where the best of them, the original IBM machines used Seagate drives way back in the dawn of time.  It was usually the cheaper brands like Maxtor and Quantum were the troublesome ones.  Quantum was eventually bought out by Maxtor, and eventually Maxtor was bought out by Seagate so these days its Seagate and Hitachi/IBM you want to avoid.  Especially the IBM Deskstar series, or Deathstar as they are known as.  But that's just my opinion..

I'm thinking about buying a NAS box that i can populate with a bunch of drives for redundancy.  I did find a backup of my music collection from 2012 on tape, its something i guess. Just need to dig through my attic to find the old Windows 2000 server that has the tape drive in it...

M.McCandless

Offline xcortes

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:17:26 AM
The worst thing about digital was being invented.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:39:44 AM
I had two 500GB internal drives in my workstation a few years ago, with a Marvell RAID setup. The RAID controller apparently glitched and it was a PITA trying to recover the data on the drives. I can't recall why now, but somehow it was not as simple as one would think. I had to install some recovery software to get the data back in one big chunk on an external backup drive and then try to sort out where everything was. Consequently I really like just putting data on external backup drives to begin with, and though it may still be too expensive for large music libraries the Cloud rocks for backups.

All that said I am guilty of needing to back up my music too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 10:48:23 AM
I got stung with a Marvell controller years ago in an AMD machine, it all worked great until the motherboard died.   ....only then it occurred to me a RAID set with no RAID controller is &@#$ all use to anybody. Luckily a good friend had the same board in his machine so i was able to borrow it to rescue my data.

M.McCandless

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 12:46:09 PM
Seagate had a massive reputation back in the day I remember planning on making a special detour to the free enterprise zone in Penang when in transit through Maylasia the airline was including free internal flight on our tickets at the time just to pick up Seagate Barracuda drive (only 4 or 8 gig I cant remember) which was the latest high speed whiz bang drive only to find them on sale in the mall next door to the hotel I was staying at in kuala lumpur. Had a great few days rnr in Penang anyhow one of the highlights was finding a little open air  shack/kitchen just a couple of burners under a corrugated tin roof run by an old man and his son serving buddhist fair and while I like my meat the food was superb and a meal and a coke would cost just a dollar or two. After going back a few times and talking with the old boy it turned out his son who was doing the cooking used to be a chef off of the QE2 cruise liner.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline BNAL

Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 01:46:02 PM
All I know is that, because of this thread I decided to do another backup of my digital music.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 03:52:02 PM
I use a TB of google drive to sync all of my music and pictures to the cloud.  Also have a network drive in another room.  You can't have enough backups.  Google storage is pretty cheap now.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Lar

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 05:23:47 PM
Sorry to hear that Mark, its also a something I have been conscious of for sometime while I rarely purchase downloads so it not all doom and gloom here for such an event. However having to repopulate a drive from cd is a real chore and I only ever do so selectively rather than comprehensively.

I believe apple can repopulate past iTunes purchases

Are there any cloud based options for this?   

HD Tracks repopulate past purchases as well, I found that out when I had a little boo boo.  :o

Larry V

Offline Adrian

Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 11:40:31 PM
The worst thing about digital was being invented.

Word.
This started out like the transister did against the tube.
Sounded good (on paper) but many tweeks have been made and yet analog has not yet gone the way of the saber-tooth tiger.
Analog is still how our ears hear.  Digital to Analog converters try to make these bits of information bearable and enjoyable.
'So it goes", as Billy Pilgrim said.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.