Just replace the MJE350s.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #121 on: May 27, 2014, 12:15:34 PM
My apologies.

I received the replacement MJEs from Bottlehead today.
Had to try them of course.
Now there isnt even a startup humm/buzz.
Thanks Doc.

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Adrian

Reply #122 on: May 27, 2014, 02:17:10 PM
Boc B:  Thank you - I apologize for my post sounding snarky  :(.  I just got confused with all the various information and opinions and wanted somthing more definitive.  I have sent the email to "replacementparts" for the MJEs.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Adrian

I received the MJE350s today and ready to install but I have a question about the transistor orientation.
These replacement MJE350s do not have the metal side and both sides look the same EXCEPT one side has writing on it.

Do I orient these without the metal side with the writing facing the same way as the original ones?
(I've checked this thread and didn't find this info - maybe I missed it.)

EDIT:  I just compared the old with the new and got about 570 ohms from emmitter (+) to base (-) on both and it looks like the new ones are oriented with the writing to the same side as the old ones.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 04:00:14 PM by Adrian »

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #124 on: May 31, 2014, 04:41:56 PM
See the sticky on the Crack board regarding MJE350's.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Adrian

Reply #125 on: May 31, 2014, 05:06:34 PM
"PB":  Thank you.  Success - I installed them correctly (just as I had measured them) and it is DEAD QUIET just like before the Speedball install - but the SB makes this little giant sound even better, just like BH promised.
Now off to find out about this "sticky" thingy (I am not well-versed in proper forum terminology).

Adrian C.

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #126 on: May 31, 2014, 07:25:16 PM
"Stickies" are the first, currently nine, threads, that show up on top of the crack forum with grey background with a little pin. These are threads that don't move when new posts appear. One concerns MJE350 orientation.

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Adrian

Reply #127 on: June 01, 2014, 02:48:16 AM
Strikkflypilot:  thank you - this old dog learns something new everyday.

Adrian C.

Offline wookiee

Reply #128 on: July 05, 2014, 11:47:21 AM
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I found it while searching about the problem. I ordered the Crack with Speedball in mid-March, but didn't get around to building it until about a month ago, so I suspect that I may have been supplied with the bad transistors. I just wanted to run my problem by everyone before I request some replacements.

Like most of the posters, I had some humming during tube warm up, but I also experienced the loud buzzing at <5% volume. What's strange is that when I powered on the CD player and played music for about 10-20 minutes, the buzz would go away. But as soon as I even paused the CD player (the power was still on) the buzz would return below 5% volume.

I haven't seen that other posters noticed or mentioned this, so I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #129 on: July 05, 2014, 12:47:10 PM
Is the buzz present without the CD player plugged in?  There are some CD players that will let some noise through when paused.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline wookiee

Reply #130 on: July 06, 2014, 11:00:57 AM
I checked last night and the buzz was there without the CD player plugged into the amp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #131 on: July 08, 2014, 01:14:52 PM
Yeah, it's tough to say.  If the CD player controls whether or not your Crack buzzes, then the Crack is unlikely to be the culprit.  If, however, the Crack will buzz regardless of whether or not the CD player is plugged in, then swapping MJE-350's might be a good idea. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Adamaley

Reply #132 on: July 20, 2014, 10:48:29 AM
Hi there. Just purchased a bottlehead crack amp a week ago, and I am experiencing this hum-at-low-volume issue. Is there anyone local to Minneapolis who can lend a hand replacing the transistors for a fee? I am, unfortunately, not handy with anything electrical.

Offline wookiee

Reply #133 on: July 27, 2014, 04:22:16 AM
Yeah, it's tough to say.  If the CD player controls whether or not your Crack buzzes, then the Crack is unlikely to be the culprit.  If, however, the Crack will buzz regardless of whether or not the CD player is plugged in, then swapping MJE-350's might be a good idea. 

-PB

I just changed the transistors and it did the trick.  Thanks for all the help and for making such a great sounding amp!