Raspberry pie, anybody?

Jim R. · 25371

Offline mpeg2

Reply #60 on: July 05, 2013, 10:57:00 AM
I missed that thread - thanks for the pointer. So I'm not confused, are you running the DAC off of the Pi - or is it connected to another computer (I got a little mixed up following).

If on the Pi, did you have any USB issues (I'm using the Adafruit Occidentalis 0.2 distro)?

I may try to use a DAC - but have to spend a little time figuring out how to get the sound to come out the USB port, when I did the other project (Raspyfi) it was already set up to use the USB port if a DAC was connected.

Rich

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #61 on: July 05, 2013, 02:35:52 PM
I missed that thread - thanks for the pointer. So I'm not confused, are you running the DAC off of the Pi - or is it connected to another computer (I got a little mixed up following).

If on the Pi, did you have any USB issues (I'm using the Adafruit Occidentalis 0.2 distro)?

I may try to use a DAC - but have to spend a little time figuring out how to get the sound to come out the USB port, when I did the other project (Raspyfi) it was already set up to use the USB port if a DAC was connected.

Rich

I have more than one DAC and was discussing two different systems. Yes, the WiFi radio project running pianobar and the piplate display has a USB DAC connected. To make it the default audio output you do the following.

cd /etc/modprobe.d $
sudo nano alsa-base.conf

options snd-usb-audio index=0 nrpacks=1

This changes the USB sound DAC to be the first device (Default).

I did have problems with clicks and pops at first but then I ran  # rpi-update and all was good after that.

Offline mpeg2

Reply #62 on: July 05, 2013, 02:46:04 PM
Thanks. I'll try that when I get a chance.

Offline mpeg2

Reply #63 on: July 27, 2013, 03:19:22 AM
Took me a little while to get to this (travel & day job got in the way). Modified the config file & did the update - switched to a DAC (in this case, an inexpensive Behringer). Quite a bit nicer.

Thanks for the help...

Rich

Offline denti alligator

Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 04:17:45 AM
I haven't been following this read very closely, but my interest is peaked.

I use J.River MC and am not likely to switch. But I'd like some small, convenient network players with J.River installed that would be able to output to a DAC. I'm prett sure J.River can be installed on a Linux platform. These Raspberry Pi devices are pretty cheap, right? Is this the solution for me?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline mpeg2

Reply #65 on: August 25, 2013, 04:36:04 AM
Probably not going to work - I just did a little googling & found: "MC doesn't run under Linux yet and if it did, its not going to run on a Raspberry Pi until its compiled to run on it. And even then, I don't expect it will run due to memory and cpu constrains. I think its a safe to say it will probably never happen."

I think there was a lot incorrect in the post (you don't have to compile special for the Raspberry Pi - having a linux executable is all that you need - but it seems to imply that there isn't one.

The Pi is only about $35 - if you have some familiarity with linux, it might be worthwhile to pick one up & play around with it...

Rich

Offline denti alligator

Reply #66 on: August 25, 2013, 04:46:26 AM
Bummer. It seems that cheap network players that do everything right (lossless, flac, gapless, etc.) are basically non-existent. So that means getting a cheap computer to do it. Alas.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline mpeg2

Reply #67 on: August 25, 2013, 05:43:31 AM
I think the issue is that most of the SW is targeted for more "mainstream" OS's (Windows, OSx). Linux doesn't have the marketshare, so no ports. The smaller, cheaper boards tend to run linux (for lots of reasons).

Rich

Offline dhherring

Reply #68 on: October 06, 2013, 01:17:31 AM
Check this distro out:

http://www.raspyfi.com/

Read about this earlier this week, which prompted me to finally purchase a Raspberry Pi.

I've got it up and working at home with a 1TB NTFS USB drive and Audioengine D1 and so far, it's doing a good job.

My plans are to move this setup to my office and connect my Aune T1.  I'm wanting the put this into place so as to not lug my notebook back and forth.

Don

Home: Rega RP-1 -> Eros Phono Pre -> Stereomour -> Klipsch Heresys
Office: Raspberry Pi w/Raspyfi -> Aune T1 DAC -> S.E.X 2.1 -> Blumenstein Orcas/Dungeness Sub

Offline caffeinator

Reply #69 on: December 18, 2013, 04:32:00 PM
Here's what looks like a plug in (or plug on) DAC for the Pi

http://www.hifiberry.com/

I wonder if anyone's tried one?

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #70 on: December 20, 2013, 04:44:02 AM

Here's what looks like a plug in (or plug on) DAC for the Pi

http://www.hifiberry.com/

I wonder if anyone's tried one?

Just found a thread on these, might be of interest to you..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/244271-my-dac-raspberry-pi.html

M.McCandless