Quickie 1.1 pot pin outs question

wullymc · 1701

Offline wullymc

on: July 04, 2013, 05:25:06 PM
Hi there,

Can someone help.  I am looking at the pin locations and trying to determine which is left input, left output, etc.  I have done some investigating but the website that I am consulting looks like the pin outs do not correspond with the wires of the Quickie.

Looking at the attachments and trying to figure out the wires going to it in the Quickie 1.1 I think I have it as:

5L - going to pins 3, 6  =  Ground   (Why is it necessary for this wire to be attached to both 3 & 6 if they are grounded - ie.  why is pin 6 double grounded when it is also attached to A RCA ground?)
A RCA ground - pin 6   = Ground   (I guess these don't matter if it is Left ground and right ground)
Terminal A - pin 4        = Right Input ?
Terminal B - pin 1        = Left Input ?
A3 - pin 5                    = Left Output ?
B3 - pin 2                    = Right Output?

I am upgrading to an attenuator (VAL 100k) and want to make sure I am configuring it properly.  Apologies if I should know more about this!

Thanks for the feedback....Dave

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:30:18 PM by wullymc »

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:17:43 PM
I understand your confusion Dave! - It took me awhile to finally get this one figured out. See the attached photo. All these stereo pots are pretty much wired the same. Going from left to right viewing it upside down, "input, output, ground". The next thing you need to do is become versed in what your plus minus and ground is on the Q. Hint "the ground is the common wire between all the inputs". Enjoy - Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 04:46:32 AM
Dave,

Since I just did this myself recently, I'll offer my two cents.

The VAL attenuator has "IN", "OUT" and "GND" marked pretty clearly, which makes things much easier, of course. And Left and Right are also pretty clearly identified.

1. The "GND" is the bare wire coming off the RCA input jacks. Just stick the bare wire coming off the RCA jacks with the RED washers and RED-insulated wires on them into the Right GND on the volume attenuator. And of course the bare wire coming off the RCA jacks with BLACK washers and BLACK-insulated wires goes into the Left GND.

2. The RED-insulated wire coming from the input selector switch should be inserted into the Right IN position on the attenuator. The BLACK-insulated wire coming from the input selector switch goes into the Left IN position.

3. By default, the remaining RED and BLACK wires go into the Right OUT and Left OUT positions, respectively.

I would show you pictures of how I did it on my Quickie, but since I changed the layout around, I fear it would be more confusing than helpful. But the above should be enough to make the wiring fairly simple.

Best regards,
Adam

Offline wullymc

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 02:37:44 PM
Thanks very much guys.

Thanks Adam for the info.  I bought the VAL based on your red Quickie!

Now I think I've lost my solder, will have to buy some new stuff, and buy some more wire because I will need longer connections.

I am anxious to get it installed. It is funny though because looking at how your VAL is installed and how the bottom of mine looks (based on inserting the stop pin) mine gets installed backwards (eg. the R is where you L is and vice versa).   Also, mine came without the green Phoenix box.  I will need to solder.  Hopefully the thing will work and work well! ;D

Thanks again....Dave
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:43:09 PM by wullymc »

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:20:18 PM
Dave,

I swapped the input selector and power switches. I also have a Quickie 1.0, whereas yours is a 1.1.
But if you think about what the volume pot does, and try to follow the circuit, you will identify which wire goes where pretty quickly. The "In" wires will come from the input selector switch, the Ground will be a bare wire coming from the outside of the RCA jacks, and the "Out" will be what's left on each side.

Best,
Adam

Offline wullymc

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 02:01:30 AM
Thanks Adam,

I have just completed the install.  I need to go buy some fresh 9V.  2 are very low.  I still did the voltage checks and will redo them when I get the new batteries.  The one concern that I have is with terminal 5.  It should read 0V and I get 0.8V.

Dave

Dave

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 02:07:08 AM
You are not the first to have low batteries at startup.  I would suggest an additional step of checking the voltages of the batteries before voltage checks on the Quickie.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 05:08:51 AM
I would take the PJCCS out, put the resistors back in, and go from there. Much simpler to problem solve.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.