Front panel designer - crack template

kingsun · 9164

Offline kingsun

on: March 16, 2013, 05:26:47 AM
Hi,

I'd like to order a custom top plate. Does anyone have a standard template for the crack top plate that I can work from?
I just wanna make sure that the screw mounting holes are spaced correctly from the socket holes etc.

Thx

Offline kingsun

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:29:10 AM
So, I went ahead and ordered a panel (template attached). It should arrive this week. Let's hope the measurements I made are correct.  :)

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:58:48 PM
Are you moving the IEC, RCA's, vol pot and jack to the rear?  don't see them on the FP design.
Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline kingsun

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:01:46 AM
Yes rca to the rear right, iec to the left. Volume front right, headphone jack left and switch plus led front center. At least... that's the plan  8).
Only thing I forgot on the frontplate are the mounting holes for the speedbal!  ::)

Offline kingsun

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:50:51 AM
Received my topplate and it is awesome! Also, it came with gummy bears!!!!!!  ;D

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:59:06 PM
Looks very nice. Did you have FP do a plate for the rest of the connectors/pot or will they be mounted in the wooden case?
Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline kingsun

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:09:20 AM
Theye are mounted in the wooden base:
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,4104.msg37552.html#msg37552

So the template I uploaded has the correct measurements if anyone wants to use it, only thing missing are the Speedball and the ground mounting holes.

Offline SammyJ

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 04:19:28 AM
Hey, quick question to the OP (sorry for the resurrection) -- who did you use to manufacture your custom top plate?

thanks,
S

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 08:12:55 AM
Most probably the FP is short for Front Panel Express

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline catfishstevens

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 02:04:49 AM
Does anybody have a copy of the template he used?  The attachment isn't working for me and I'd be interested in this!  If there's an updated one with the Speedball that'd be even better.  Thanks!

Offline simondadiamond

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 03:26:53 PM
I too am very curious about this. This is exactly what I'm looking for, did OP or
find anything?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 06:45:58 AM
I too am very curious about this. This is exactly what I'm looking for, did OP or  find anything?
There is someone's template in the second post in this thread.  We haven't ordered it, checked it, or tried it, so YMMV.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline simondadiamond

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 05:55:32 PM
Thanks, the document seems corrupt though... :(

Offline catfishstevens

Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 01:59:33 PM
I sent Doc an email asking if he could provide me with FPE files after I posted in this thread, and he was (perfectly understandably) reluctant to send me proprietary information.

I got out my calibrated measurement equipment and measured it relatively carefully, then drew it in the FPE software.  I picked it up today and it is a nearly perfect match; I am very happy with the work that FPE did for $48.  I didn't get fancy, I just wanted a gold anodized finish to match with my ebony base.

I'll post it here if Doc is okay with that.  It sounds like PB would be okay with the file posted originally if it worked, but given his response to my email I'll defer to Doc. 

In the event they don't want it posted, it isn't that hard to measure.  You already have most of the SAE hole sizes from the screws, just a few odds and ends after that.  Since it is less than 8.5x11 you can print it to scale in FPE on a regular printer and line that up with your original front panel to check yourself.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 07:54:59 PM
I would prefer that you do not post a file of a copy of our chassis panel on this forum.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.