Bottlehead Kits > Crack

Tube Rolling w/Crack

(1/491) > >>

Dr. Toobz:
At the suggestion of Grainger49, let's compile a list of tubes that can be rolled in the Crack. I'll update this list periodically as more tubes are tested, and have separated the list into drop-in replacements vs. tubes that might need the heaters rewired or some other modification. Please PM me with any additions or corrections! Maybe we can eventually make this thread a sticky? (Last updated: 05/22/2010).

DROP-IN EQUIVALENTS

Input Tubes (Original: 12AU7)

12AU7(A)(WA)
ECC186
ECC82
ECC802(S)
E8025
E82CC
CV4003
CV4122
CV491
5814(A)
6189(W)(WA)
6680 (WL6680)
5963 (computer version of 12AU7)

Sort-of-Drop-In (but not equivalent - for best results, replace plate resistors with Speedball boards)

E80CC
12BH7

Power/Output (Original: 6080)

6AS7G
6H13C
6N13
NOT THE 6SN7!!!!!

SUBSTITUTIONS (circuit changes required)

n/a

FWIW, tube rolling can indeed make a difference in your Crack. I've had the chance to try out another power tube - a Russian 6H13C (6AS7). The amp sounds a bit warmer now, with a bigger soundstage, plenty of bass, and maybe a hair less vivid treble. A good investment at about $20 - I bought mine online from the TubeStore. This definitely sounds a little sweeter and more "tubey" than the 6080 in there before. YMMV, of course.

ironbut:
Well, I just couldn't resist any longer.
I replaced the Toshiba 5963 that was included in my kit with a mid 50's CBS Hytron 5814a BP, 2mica with the tilted square getter.  I still have the supplied RCA 6080 installed but I replaced the stock signal wire with Cardas 24awg shielded between the RCA's and the pot and 21awg solid silver (from M Percy) for the rest.
It's just been a couple of hours but I'm lovin' it! Great imaging, deep soundstage, fantastic bass, very nice snap, and the highs aren't nearly as forward as with the Toshiba. Very musical!
I almost don't have the heart to try the rest of my stash,.. I said almost.
I'll live with this set up for a while though,.. of course there's that new TKD pot staring me in the face too.
I just have no self control anymore!

Jim R.:
Steve,

Is that CBS Hytron the red label version?  If the braille on the tube box is correct, I think I just found one of those in my tube box.  I thought I had got rid of all my 12au7 variants, but I'm stil finding one or two here and there, and so far they have all been pretty nice.  I'll ask my wife to verify that it is indeed the 1955 red label.  Glad to hear it sounds so good in the Crack.

-- Jim

ironbut:
Yup, that's the one. IIRC, it wasn't too expensive either.

roger_s:
I've so voided my warranty:  All of the signal path wire is multiple-strand silver-plated Teflon mil-spec, the RCA jacks feed the pot via Canare shielded quad, the pot's from DIY-HiFi (their Alps clone), the headphone jack is a Neutrik locking jack, the caps are those huge Axon films, and I've rolled in a RCA 6AS7.

What an amazing amp!  Dead quiet, the bass has incredible slam and definition.  Brushes against a drumhead are stunning. It does a better job with my HD-650's than my K-702's but not by much. Right now I'm feeding it Apple Lossless via a RWA modified iPod. Blows away my DarkVoice 336 and my Woo Wa3. In fact I just gave the DV to my son-in-law.

Dead simple to build and incredible sound. Doc, you guys rock!

--- Quote from: ironbut on May 01, 2010, 06:50:08 PM ---Well, I just couldn't resist any longer.
I replaced the Toshiba 5963 that was included in my kit with a mid 50's CBS Hytron 5814a BP, 2mica with the tilted square getter.  I still have the supplied RCA 6080 installed but I replaced the stock signal wire with Cardas 24awg shielded between the RCA's and the pot and 21awg solid silver (from M Percy) for the rest.
It's just been a couple of hours but I'm lovin' it! Great imaging, deep soundstage, fantastic bass, very nice snap, and the highs are nearly as forward as with the Toshiba. Very musical!
I almost don't have the heart to try the rest of my stash,.. I said almost.
I'll live with this set up for a while though,.. of course there's that new TKD pot staring me in the face too.
I just have no self control anymore!

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version