Eros voltage reading problem

Steve Reese · 10815

Offline Steve Reese

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:48 AM
It reads 7

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 09:14:51 AM
Ok, next, double check all the 1N5820 diodes and their orientation.  With 7V AC in, the DC voltage coming out will certainly be greater than 0.

After that, set your meter to DC and put the black probe back on ground, then measure the DC voltage present at the banded end of one of the 1N5820 diodes that's closes to the 6.3vDC pads.  This will tell you your DC voltage available to the regulator.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Steve Reese

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 09:21:39 AM
It reads 9V

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:18 AM
OK, so far this is a good sign, you have the AC coming in, you're making into DC (and enough DC at that), but you have no output from the regulator.

The next step is to triple check the two resistors that nestle up to the 1085 regulator, as they set the regulator voltage.

I would also flip the PCB over and touch up the seven solder joints (2 on each resistor, three on the 1085).

Additionally, the two yellow capacitors on the outside of the PC board are polarized, it's possible that one is in backwards.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Steve Reese

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 10:34:03 AM
I touched up the 7 resistors and check and verified that the two outer yellow resistors are oriented correctly. Did a voltage check and still no light on Tube or diodes.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 11:18:23 AM
Can you post a photo of the top and underside of the PCB?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Steve Reese

Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 11:43:01 AM
Are these good enough to see?

Offline Steve Reese

Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 11:59:42 AM
If anyone would read this, http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3671.0.html, could another big resistor may be compromised?

Offline kgoss

Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 03:17:24 PM
Its hard to tell from the photo, but some of those solder connections especially in the middle of the PCB look like they might bridge two traces.  I just think it might be a good thing to check with a magnifying glass while waiting on PB and others who are more knowledgeable than me respond.

Ken

Ken Goss

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 04:08:24 PM
I reviewed the whole thread this evening, since it's gotten rather long. I notice that the regulator 12BH7 was working initially, so the lack of heater voltage now is probably something simple - hopefully, just s single bad connection. Until we get the heater power restored, there is no point in looking for other problems, in fact it's quite likely there aren't any.

I can't tell from the picture whether all four 1N5820 diodes are pointing in the same direction. I'm looking at that because you read 7vAC between power transformer terminals T4 and T5 (or perhaps where they connect to the PSU board, with the same labels). There should be more than 9vAC between those two points. I do not actually think this is the problem, but it's best to be certain. If you still get 7 volts, I'll have to ask if your meter is accurate - test a fresh 9v battery (on DC) to confirm.

There should also be around 9vDC at the forward ends of each of the two diodes that lie nearest the output terminals on the board. I specify both of them in case one is not soldered well - like the large chips, these diodes can absorb enough heat to slow the soldering process.

The terminals on the board labelled 6.3vDC should have 0 volts on the negative terminal and +6.3v on the positive terminal. If the positive voltage is zero, then it may be worth the trouble to attempt to measure the middle leg of the '1085 regulator - be careful there, since it is probably only accessible with a probe, and you don't want to slip and short the pins! Pin 3, which is the one closest to T4/T5, should have 9vDC on it.

I'm afraid those are all the test points that seem to me to be accessible within reason. Make those measurements, in that order, and we should be able to make a good guess as to where the problem is.

Paul Joppa

Offline Steve Reese

Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 05:28:27 AM
Okay, again sorry it took me a while... I retouched the diodes, and yes, they're all pointing the same direction. After attaching the wires, I measured T5, and it measured just over 9VAC. I measured the outer most diodes, and they measure just over 10VDC. I measured the +6.3 post, and it didn't even read a volt. It has what I think is a solid connection. I then measured what I thought was pin 3 on the 1085 regulator closest to T4,5, and it read just a hair over 9vDC. I just don't get why I'm not getting 6.3vDC......

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:28 AM
My best guess at this point is a cold solder joint on the 1085.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Steve Reese

Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 09:48:27 AM
Okay, I reattached the wires once more and before hand retouched the 1085. And I got the same thing. I wonder when that 100uF 450V cap blew that is also ruined the 1085....?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 10:23:44 AM
The high voltage supply is extremely unlikely to have an effect on the low voltage supply.

Before going to the trouble of removing and replacing the 1085 (it will be neither easy nor fun!), check the voltage at its middle pin as suggested. In fact, check the voltage at each of the three pins - you've already got the right input voltage at pin 3; let's be sure about the others.

The reason I suggest making these measurements is that it worked before, so the 1085 was not "dead on arrival" and it's not that easy to damage it. That makes me think that merely replacing the chip won't address whatever the real problem is. But if measurements can't resolve this, that would probably have to be the next step.

Paul Joppa

Offline Steve Reese

Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 10:42:08 AM
Sorry.... I didn't read it correctly. Pin 1 reads .4vDC; Pin 2 reads .78vDC; and Pin 3 reads 10.83vDC