Bottleneck speaker competition (MD/VA/DC/DE/PA)

RayP · 19947

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #60 on: May 07, 2012, 03:25:49 AM
My work has been getting in the way of my hobby lately and I haven't had the time to finish my project.  I will bring something, but I'm not expecting much.

With regard to the actually competition, I'm thinking we need the following:

• Amp - David (Audioromy 813, ~30WPC)
  • Speaker Stands - David (mine are 30" tall)
  • Speaker Wire - David (I have plain old cable.  If someone wants to bring something more exotic feel free)
  • Cd Player - Jon
  • RCA Cables
  • Power Strip
  • Screen to hide the entries (if possible)
  • Snacks (are we allowed?)

Am I missing something? 

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline RayP

Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 08:11:46 AM
Food is not allowed.

I can bring a power strip.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline RayP

Reply #62 on: May 10, 2012, 04:57:55 AM
If you have tried to send me a track for the test disk, it hasn't arrived.

I'm currently putting the test disk together so get it to me asap if you can.

A friend came round yesterday and saw my speakers. He laughed out loud.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #63 on: May 10, 2012, 12:46:41 PM
Hi Ray,
I tried to send you a flac of Eva Cassidy, Wayfaring Stranger. at 4:27 it is a 26mg file and I guess too large to send.

Does anyone know how I could edit it to say the last 2 minutes? Or better yet just send it to Ray...John 

John S.

Offline RayP

Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 01:33:13 PM
It Looks like Gmail has a limit of 25 mb.

I will bring my laptop with a CD burner and I could read it at the library, add it to the play list and then burn the disk. I'll get to the library about noon.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline RayP

Reply #65 on: May 11, 2012, 05:20:03 AM
I've just tried Audacity to increase the volume slightly on a couple of classical music tracks. It seems to be effective. You can also shorten the length of a track.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

For those who don't want to know which speaker they are listening to, I will bring some unused masks that you can place over your eyes during the auditions. They are the kind you get on overseas flights.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline dgb

Reply #66 on: May 11, 2012, 11:03:25 AM
is the library address, 301 Newark Avenue,  Elkton ?
thanks, don

Offline RayP

Reply #67 on: May 11, 2012, 02:31:28 PM
Hi Don,

Yes, that's it. The easiest way for most people to get there is to get off I-95 at exit 109 and take Route 279. Once you get to Elkton, You go past a couple of schools on the left hand side and then you come to the library.  There is usually room in the parking lot.

The meeting rooms are directly to the right as you enter the library. I'm not sure if we will be in the larger or smaller room.

There are not too many food places near the library. The usual fast food stuff is at the I-95 / Route 279 exit.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline RayP

Reply #68 on: May 13, 2012, 03:42:34 AM
I've done a write up on the competition that you can find here.

http://bottlenecksaudio.blogspot.com/2012/05/full-range-speaker-competition.html

It was really interesting listening to all of these speakers and Steve's MLTLs were the emphatic winners.

Our next meet will be in the second half of October, probably at Steve's place in Sterling, VA.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #69 on: May 13, 2012, 04:55:04 AM
Nice writeup Ray.  I thought this was a good meet.  I really wish I had an extra month to finish up my design.  It would have been interesting to have an entry with a helper woofer.  I think I will go ahead and finish them for October, just to see what people think.  Since Steve will have his speakers around we can compare them.

Not that it matters, but the chip amp I brought was a BrianGT design from chipamp.com.

See you in October!

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC