Hakko FX-888

debk · 10386

4krow

Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 03:39:00 PM
Well, the Hakko came in today. I like it and don't like it. Yup, the performance is very good indeed, but it will take me awhile to get used to using presets for temp instead of a simple dial. And yah, it's got a password option, like who knew man? "Jonny, have you been using daddys Hakko?" "Why no pops, I can't, it's password protected, but I did use yer Skillsaw on the cat."

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 03:52:45 PM
Greg,

That's strange -- mine has a real dial and is infinitely adjustable. -- no passwords either.  Just a set screw locking mechanism for setting a max temp.

IMO, this is a fantastic soldering station.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

4krow

Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 03:59:01 AM
Yah this is the 888D, which is 'digital'. Last thing I need is 5 presets to run through. Now, on the bright side, once it is all figured out, I think that it might be good to have the features, but I'm on your side Jim, just a dial is all that is needed.

4krow

Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 10:21:45 AM
While looking for possible back up units, I came by a name of UNGAR. It is NOS and sells for $150. Do any of you guys have knowledge of this brand?

4krow

Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 03:14:10 PM
A little update. The Hakko has bested the previous solder station that I owned. Go figure, it just does a better job. I have to watch the tip more closely so it doesn't get dirty. Small price for a bigger difference.