Noisefloor question....

Dr. Toobz · 6736

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 08:20:54 AM
Yes 45s are generally more lean in the bass compared to 2A3s and 300Bs.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 01:27:57 PM
Yes, there is no technical reason to think the cathode resistor replacing the LED bias will have any effect on the bass.

It is possible to use a single HLMP-6000 - the Paramour did so with no problems I am aware of.

A possibly more practical option would be something like the Fix, a passive bass boost of a few dB. At least you would know that you'd made a measurable difference in the bass level, and could then decide whether it is weak bass or some other quality of the bass that is bothering you. Over the decades, engineers (mea culpa) have put so much emphasis on frequency response that I think we sometimes ascribe other, more subtle effects to simple response differences.

Paul Joppa

Offline triode

Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 11:51:56 PM
Hi PJ & others,
I just finished my Stereomour and got the same hiss problem. Mine are configured as 45, and the hiss still there both with 2A3 and 45 tubes. I also tried different 12AT7, still the same.

Would I better off with 2 series HLMP-6000 or just single one to replace the 431? any sonic degradation using series led vs single?
I recall Paramount (2A3 version) using just one led and seems no problem on mine.

FYI my speaker is Lowther front loaded horn with bullet tweeter. Bass is active so Stereomour does not need to work below 200Hz.

Thanks in advance

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 05:31:30 AM
Would I better off with 2 series HLMP-6000 or just single one to replace the 431? any sonic degradation using series led vs single?...
As a reminder, from my earlier post (edited now to fix a typo):

1) replace the 431 with a resistor of 500 to 690 ohms (metal film preferred). This may reduce the high treble a dB or two unless it is bypassed - damaging the sonics again. I would not drop below 499 ohms. The 45 will not have this problem; its Miller capacitance is half that of the 2A3. This is similar to the SEX amp circuit.

2) replace the 431 with an HLMP-6000 LED. I'm not entirely comfortable with such a low bias voltage, due to the risk of risk grid current on transient peaks - though we did use it in the Paramour II with satisfactory results.

I'll add 3) replace the 431 with two HLMP-6000s in series. Two LEDs risks the opposite problem, running out of compliance at high voltages as the 12AT7 ages. They will be 3dB noisier that a single LED but that is probably not audible relative to the 12AT7's intrinsic noise.

The optimum voltage remains 2.5 volts, as I designed it.

As to the best choice, try them and see. It's neither expensive nor difficult! Personally I'd use the resistor with a 45 - simpler, more reliable, and closer to the optimum voltage. The LED(s) will be quieter, but I think the margin will be insignificant - a small fraction of a decibel. But that's just me, and I haven't done the experiment.

Paul Joppa

Offline triode

Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 06:50:20 AM
Thanks PJ.
I'll try the resistor and see

Cheers

Offline triode

Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 09:29:24 PM
Just, follow up : I installed resistors replacing 431. Noise gone :)
I thought there is slight lost of treble at first, but maybe just in my head.
Sound good now anyway.
Thanks all

Cheers