Connect Red Wire to RCA Center Pin Without Soldering?

coastal1 · 3674

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 06:24:32 PM
Basically, the center pin "soldering terminal" is a "cup terminal".
He could have heated the cup and inserted the cable into the hot solder, instead the cable is soldered to the outside of the cup. From the looks of it, it might be mechanically stable, and whats important, the little white ring which isolates center from ground does not seem to be compromised. In other words this looks to me like it should work.

I think 3 o clock setting should be way too loud with the speedball in place. Maybe the volume is padded down. Take some pics around the volume pot. Underneath of course.

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 06:27:08 PM
It's not pretty, but it would seem you have a connection.  Does not sound as if there is a channel imbalance, so the volume concern is not related to the RCA.  Were it me,  I would get a couple of new RCA jacks and have them soldered properly.  My concern is the integrity of the jack, especially the insulation surrounding the center pin. That much heat was likely not a good thing for long term reliability.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline coastal1

Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 06:45:39 PM
Dale stepped attentuator.  I bought this used.

Basically, the center pin "soldering terminal" is a "cup terminal".
He could have heated the cup and inserted the cable into the hot solder, instead the cable is soldered to the outside of the cup. From the looks of it, it might be mechanically stable, and whats important, the little white ring which isolates center from ground does not seem to be compromised. In other words this looks to me like it should work.

I think 3 o clock setting should be way too loud with the speedball in place. Maybe the volume is padded down. Take some pics around the volume pot. Underneath of course.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 02:00:43 AM
He is of the "Make a good mechanical connection first" then solder train of thought.   Just slipping the wire into the cup makes no mechanical connection.

You are fine.  His answer works well.

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 03:18:08 AM
That actually sounds about right with the Dale attenuator.  I use them on my Crack and my S.E.X., and they both have to be turned up fairly high.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline coastal1

Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 03:35:17 AM
Great!  Thanks to everyone for all of the tremendous help answering my questions and easing my concerns.  It sounds great so excited to dive into it and if any sound issues arise I'll address them at that time.