Connect Red Wire to RCA Center Pin Without Soldering?

coastal1 · 3636

Offline coastal1

I bought a used BH Crack + Speedball and during shipping the solder joint of the red wire to the RCA center pin broke loose.  Seems like an easy fix but I don't have a solder kit (or experience soldering) and don't know anyone nearby that has one.  Are my options (1) Buy a solder kit and fix it myself, or (2) Have it professionally fixed, or is there another way to make a solid connection?

Thanks

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 04:16:37 AM
Congratulations on Your acquisition and welcome to the forum.
Your options 1 and 2 are both the two best choices:)
If You want to do the soldering Yourself You might get hooked on this hobby.
I recommend watching the PACE training videos on YOUTUBE and practice on something first.
You will find the repair relatively easy but it never hurts to learn a bit first.
Have fun!

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline coastal1

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 04:55:47 AM
Thanks for the quick reply and advice.  I realize that soldering equipment isn't too expensive, just concerned about the time it may take to learn and practice te technique as I'm itching to get this up and running  ;D, especially when it's just one wire connection that's off.  I do have interest in learning the hobby at some point, just impatient right now.

Is crimping out of the question?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:19:59 AM
Start a new thread in the General folder asking if there is a Bottlehead near you who can do it for you.  Serve him a couple of beers after he is finished and listen to some music.

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:26:50 AM
I'd be happy to. Don't suppose Southeast Norway is close, though:)

Home system:

Office:

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 06:29:52 AM
That is even less likely than he is in East Tennessee. 

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 06:52:10 AM
Well, I wouldn't bet against You on that, Grainger:)

Home system:

Office:

Offline coastal1

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 08:48:14 AM
As somewhat unfortunate update, I had a good electrician at my house last week for a house issue.  He's very experienced and does a lot of soldering thats far more difficult than what I needed help with.  I told him about the Crack and (thought) I carefully explained what needed to be done -- told him it should look just like the white connection that's properly connected to the center pin, even showed him the applicable pages of the manual.  He said it would be an easy fix and offered to do it for no extra charge (other than the unrelated house work).

Turns out he basically crimped the wire around RCA jack and soldered it to that rather than into the center pin.  He admitted it didn't look pretty, but said it will work.

It does seem to work, in fact it sounds great (though I never heard the Crack in previous form so don't have that comparison), but I'm well aware this isn't how it's supposed to be connected.  A couple of questions:

(1) What specific problems could this incorrect connection cause?  There's no channel imbalance, no distortion, etc.  I have no intentions of selling it so not worried about the cosmetics.

(2) I do have to turn to volume up more than I would've expected to fully drive my HD650s-- with 0 volume at 7 O'Clock, I turn it up to ~ 3 O'Clock to get them as loud as I'd possibly want them, again no distortion or any sound issues.  Using Jriver (PC vol at 100%) and IfI Micro as DAC, TS 5998 and Telefunk 12a7.  Is this normal and if not could it be from the rca connection?  Im happy to try different tubes to see if the volume is tube related, but wondering if I should get this fixed properly before really using it

(3) If I do need to have it fixed properly, does this significantly complicate a proper fix?  Ill be using someone experienced w/ HP amps and hopefully the Crack if I need to get it fixed right.

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 08:56:17 AM
Take and post some pics please:)

Home system:

Office:

Offline coastal1

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 09:00:27 AM
Take and post some pics please:)

Will do, not at home right now.

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 09:38:58 AM
Just a reminder. This forum is meant to be a community.  The forum rules require that we use our real, full names.  Providing your location is not required but most helpful and courteous.  There are many, MANY Bottlehead's spread across this globe.  Most are more than willing to help out.

This is from the  forum rules: ( http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0 )

First, we require registration for the privilege of posting. Also, regardless of your chosen moniker everyone must sign their posts with their real name and any audio industry affiliation they may have. When we have to take responsibility for our actions we tend to show more respect for each other and keep things more civilized.

It's easy to set up your member preferences so that your signature is automatically added to each post as you see at the bottom of this one. Go to the Quick Links menu pull down in the upper left of this page and select Profile, then Modify Profile/Forum Profile Information. Scroll to the bottom of that page and you will find Signature. You can put your name in there (and your affiliation if you are in the audio business) and it will be added automatically to all your posts. Some members add an equipment list. That list is not required, just your real name is required.

As was suggested earlier in the thread, please....Let us know where you are!

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:40:41 AM by galyons »

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's

Offline coastal1

Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 11:08:01 AM
^ Sorry about that, I'm in Raleigh, NC, but traveling a lot these days for work

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 03:22:02 PM
From your description, it sounds like the signal wire was soldered to ground at the input - which would result in no signal at all on that channel. So maybe I'm mis-interpreting your description - which is probably why others are also asking for a picture.

Paul Joppa

Offline coastal1

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 06:08:27 PM
Here's some pics

Offline coastal1

Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 06:17:43 PM
From your description, it sounds like the signal wire was soldered to ground at the input - which would result in no signal at all on that channel. So maybe I'm mis-interpreting your description - which is probably why others are also asking for a picture.

Please see pics posted. I don't know much about this stuff, but would've guessed the problems would be very obvious,e.g., no sound at all out that channel, severe distortion,channel imbalance. Not having any of those issues. The only sq issue that raises some concern is that it seems like I have to turn the volume up higher than expected (3 o clock) to fully drive my HD650, but I wouldnt think that's related to this wiring