record prices

aragorn723 · 2878

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 07:29:27 AM
Is $25 a good price for a new record?  The album is Ed Sheeran's X on amazon.  Thanks,
It seems a little silly to buy a record that originated as a modern, compressed digital recording.  This is one of those cases where the CD is very likely to sound a lot better, cost a lot less, last longer, and take up less space.

There is no high res. copy of this album, which provides a reasonable basis to infer that there's nothing to be gained by trying (and paying for) the LP.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 01:09:13 PM
I hadn't thought of it that way.  So the benefit of records from a technical perspective is that they are uncompressed?  When did digital compression start on recordings?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 01:58:14 PM
I hadn't thought of it that way.  So the benefit of records from a technical perspective is that they are uncompressed? 
The benefit of records is that the original material has never been converted from analog to digital.  The recent trends in compression just make modern recordings less listenable.

When did digital compression start on recordings?
I'm sure it was present in some capacity on the very first ones.  Analog recordings use it too, but if you go back in time, it is used more judiciously. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 02:26:55 PM
On compression, the early (analogue, tube) tape recorders would saturate the tape, typically about 14dB above the maximum VU-meter level. (The VU meter does some short-term averaging so it reflects the perceived loudness but not the instantaneous peaks.)

A little later, compressors were developed to do a smoother job - especially useful for radio broadcasts which exhibit hard clipping. Gradually over the years better compressors were developed so that the perceived loudness came closer and closer to the instantaneous peak level, allowing radio stations to play music that sounded louder and thus appeared to increase the distance range of the station without increasing transmitter power. Also, the louder-sounding station was more attractive to listeners spinning the know across the dial. This gradual slide into mediocrity has continued to this day - that 14dB is now about 1.5dB for much of pop music.  :^(

Paul Joppa

Offline Chris

Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 04:09:25 PM
Interesting and makes alot of sense...

Offline denti alligator

Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 05:34:46 PM
Remember the old AAD, ADD, DDD labeling on CDs? Well, we really need that on LPs so that we can avoid DDA and ADA albums and sticks with AAA.  I often wonder if the newer, indie label records I listen to have been recorded digitally. Is there an easy way to find out?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline caffeinator

Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 06:42:07 PM
Are we talking just about music or about broadcast media in general?  Change a few nouns and you've just described the story of the decline of real reportage and detailed content into soundbite journalism...

Oh wow...is it really the same thing?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 04:41:34 AM
As an American I am both outraged and terrified by the idea that you would say something so hateful, that journalism in this country is in decline. Let us hope we don't read a headline report of Miley Cyrus tweeting that you have outraged her too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline caffeinator

Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 07:12:36 PM
That will do, Number Six!  Rover will deal with you as soon as Ms Cyrus is done riding and disconnects his chain...

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 05:13:29 AM
;)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.