Input jack is scratchy

jimvibe · 1551

Offline jimvibe

on: December 17, 2015, 11:31:18 AM
Hello all,

I have been using crack for over 6 months now and everything was great, but recently the input connector suddenly started loosing the right channel for some reason. The solder joints going to the socket seem to be fine and the connector's leafs seem to be having good contact with the headphone jack. I will try to do a more thorough debugging soon, what else should I check?

Thanks,
Dima

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 01:33:46 PM
recently the input connector suddenly started loosing the right channel for some reason. [...] the connector's leafs seem to be having good contact with the headphone jack.

Is it the headphone jack or the RCA jack that you suspect is flaky?  An intermittent channel is nearly always a flaky solder joint.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jimvibe

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 01:38:49 PM
Is it the headphone jack or the RCA jack that you suspect is flaky?  An intermittent channel is nearly always a flaky solder joint.

It's the headphone jack. The channels goes away or comes back when I rock the headphone jack sideways just a tiny bit.

Offline jimvibe

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:39:29 PM
Indeed, resoldered input jack wires and it seems to be fixed now. What a shame, considering that I have crimped every wire pretty hard-core and in the end had a working amp with few points unsoldered (was waiting for my speedball).

Thanks a lot!