Building a crack for a friend in the UK

Funkdeal · 557

Offline Funkdeal

on: March 20, 2022, 07:57:12 AM
I just want to start by expressing how amazing the whole crack-building experience has been. I'm a complete electronics noob. I've had had my eye on the crack for probably a decade but never had the patience, money, or willingness to invest in a big project.

I finally built my first crack+speedball for myself about a month ago. When I had a problem with my resistance check, I came to this forum and found the solution to my problem. When I was experiencing a crackling sound a few weeks after the build, I discovered the chopstick test and was able to identify a couple loose solder joints. I've taken a deep dive into Bottlehead's philosophy on audio. Building the amp myself has been unendingly fulfilling. I even built a modular cable system so that I can listen at my desk or across the room without tripping over 15 feet of cable.

Which brings me to the reason for this post... I live in the US and recently convinced my friend in the UK that I have to build him a crack. I'm really excited at the idea of doing the build again, learning from my mistakes, and making a cleaner and prettier build overall. My main question is: What is the best way to make sure that I build an amp that accommodates the UK's 240v? I was thinking there are 2 options.

1. Build the crack for 120v and make him use a converter
2. Build the crack for 240v and do voltage checks here (in the US) with a converter

Is there anything I'm missing or should consider? Has anybody done this before?

As a bonus, I'm attaching some shots of the build. Thanks all!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 08:08:05 AM
I would get a small 120:240 converter to do your testing.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Funkdeal

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 09:41:27 AM
Thanks Paul, just the answer I was looking for.