6080/6AS7 sparking

jp.lichtenberg · 1542

Offline jp.lichtenberg

on: October 05, 2015, 02:28:55 PM
Hello,

I built my crack several months back and have not had any issues until this week. Now, when I turn it on, I have a lot of sparking that happens in the 6080/6AS7 tube. What could be causing this issue?

Thanks,
JP Lichtenberg

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:06:01 PM
it's most likely that the tube has developed an internal short. Try another 6080 and if that doesn't solve it do all your resistance measurements and report any values that are out of spec.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jp.lichtenberg

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:31:10 PM
If it turns out to be an internal short, what can I do to prevent this in the future?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:15:10 AM
Development of an internal short is often very random and very rare.  You may never run into this again.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 09:02:35 PM
I had a 5998 once that would put on a good little firework show when it fired up with a handful of little sparks that would fly pinging around inside the tube. This display only happened when the tube was first powered on for a second or two then it would run fine. After about a week or so one channel went dead and the tube showed as having a short on my tester. I cant remember if this made a sound through the headphones or not but suspect I didn't have them plugged in when powering up which was my norm for powering up a new tube for the first time.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!