Difficult for Newbie?

MagicCat · 6325

Offline Grainger49

Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37:40 AM
Thanks so much guys for all the replies.  ;)

Just wondering if the Crack will be OK with my new headphones? They're Grado 225i's. I just got them in the mail today from the States, and, WOW they're amazing. Currently I'm running them just from my MacBook using lossless files. My plan is to add the Crack, and a USB DAC. Already I'm hooked though!

I used to have an amazing Hi-Fi rig that I had to sell. I felt the easiest way to get close to my music again was with a good headphone rig, and you know what? I think I'm right  8)

You might start a new thread headed Crack with low impedance headphones.  That would give others with the same problem a place to find the information.

Offline MagicCat

Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 04:47:34 AM
Great idea  ;D

Offline E.T.

Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 09:51:48 AM
I like to reply to these threads.  I am Latin teacher and build these things.  No technical background whatsoever.  The manuals are the absolute best in hifi.  Doc loves photography and it shows.  You could almost build the kits from the pictures alone, the manuals are that good.  The problem is never the person's ability to build the amp from the manual, it is someone who rushes and doesn't check their work before firing it up.  If you pay attention and double check you can very easily do it.  Trust me, you can handle it.

I'll second that bit about checking your work.  When I built one of Pete Millett's headphone amps from scratch, after I'd made the last solder joint I didn't fire it up -- I deliberately stopped.  The next day I started with the AC plug and checked _everything_ against the schematic.  Every wire, every pin, every everything.  Even tho I'd been very careful in assembly, I found I'd polarized both output caps backwards, and both MOSFETs were upside-down-backwards.  The problem of course is that whn you finish a project you get _physically excited and impatient_, and that's really what makes the sparks fly.  But since you're an engineer, I'm sure you know not to fall into that trap.

Physics is love;  engineering is marriage.    --Norman Mailer