multimeter recommendations/cable capacitance measurements

sl-15 · 15289

4krow

Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 05:10:28 PM
will do. Now to get a little picky,,,I'm finding that it would be great to have a meter that could help with measuring capacitance as well. Maybe it would be better if I found a capacitor meter separately.

Offline elcraigo

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 02:53:58 AM
I'm with Jim on the Simpson 260. Wished I still had mine. You can still buy it. Allied stocks it.

The first Tube device I built was a Heathkit Vacuum Tube meter, Heathkit IM-28. I wish I had it still.
I have a Triplett Model 310 (from the early 70s and it still works). It is small and was used by a lot of Telephone Techs. You can still buy it.
One thing to keep in mind if you shop for an older analog meter; what kind of batteries are needed.
For example the Triplett 310 uses a 15 V battery, and a 1.5 V.
The 15 V is a Energizer 504 Zinc Carbon Battery, which you can buy.
Again, just something to keep in mind.
You might want to get ready for a little sticker shock if you buy a new analog meter.
You could also make one. Get a 500 ohm Full Scale = 1 mA Meter, a 9V battery, a resistor, and a couple test leads.
One place to look is: www.allaboutcircuits.com

Craig

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

4krow

Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 04:22:17 AM
Very good Craig, thank you. I worked as a tech in the telephone company for 30 yrs and one of best techs I ever worked with taught me some of the things that could be done with just a 'kick' meter. Some of the other meters were simple in nature but very worthwhile when determining buried wire troubles,etc. Strange that a lot those ides and techniques were not taught after a time, but instead, in walked the salesman with all new, expensive digital junk. And it was. Plus people being trained to use it didn't always have a reason to even use it...go figure. I could go on and on, but in the end we sometimes go back to our roots.

Offline elcraigo

Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 05:47:43 AM
Mining for broken copper; that explains why you like an analog meter. You probably had butt-set with a rotary dial. The triplett was probably popular because you can change the scale with just one thumb.
The triplett I have was given to me by an old Southern Bell tech.
I'm with you, roots are good. One reason I still use dial calipers.

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

4krow

Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 06:24:29 AM
and the reason we still like tube equipment!

4krow

Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 03:29:48 AM
Off topic update:   I received my Simpson 260A meter yesterday. Just what I wanted. Thanks for the recommendation guys.....Greg

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 03:55:01 AM
Hey Greg,

Congratulations -- and I'm jealous!  As you can probably tell, that is one piece of gear you'll be able to pass down to your great grandchildren :-).  At least I hope Simpson hasn't succumbed to planned obselence engineering.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

4krow

Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 10:49:10 AM
Only it is really a 260 3, but not a 3A. I saw one for sale that was a 3A model, and had been used at NASA! It came with all kinds of stuff, but was $140. I chose this one for $40 Ppd. to my door. The only issue is that I had to work on the battery connections. But it has one of those cool 'rolltop' cases. Won't be using right away, but am sure glad I have it now.

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 03:57:03 PM
Anyone have any experience with these meters or know if they'd fit the bill?
http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Digital-Multimeter-Tester-Ammeter/dp/B00FFYPUTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393382558&sr=8-1&keywords=vc99+multimeter

Thanks in advance!

Witold

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline sl-15

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 06:52:25 PM
i have never heard of that company but the price seems pretty good and in terms of functionality it would definitely fit the bill.. check out this link for a review/discussion on the meter.
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/vichy-vc99-multimeter-review-and-teardown/
good luck, stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 11:55:02 AM
For the price I'll make the jump. Reviews seem decent. Thanks for the advice, I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX