multimeter recommendations/cable capacitance measurements

sl-15 · 15298

Offline sl-15

i am thinking about getting a good multimeter. i do not want to spend a fortune and was thinking about a fluke in the $150 range. my research shows me that higher price often means tighter tolerances and sometimes more functionality. i am looking for a reliable meter that preferably has frequency and capacitance measurements as an option, but i am unsure if it would be sensitive enough to measure cable capacitance (e.g. a phono interconnect). any recommendations on what to get? thanks for any input. stefan
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:06:33 PM by sl-15 »

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:46:02 AM
Flukes are great meters. Resist the temptation to buy used without trying it first, as some Flukes are notorious for the LCD display getting flaky (I think it's actually an issue with connections to the panel, not the panel itself). Unfortunately I have one that proves my point.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:58:53 PM
I have a Fluke 117, very nice meter!

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline ironbut

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:07:44 PM
I lived with cheap meters for years and finally got myself a Fluke 87 V a couple of years ago. They retail for a bunch but IIRC, I paid about $180 for a brand new one on eBay. There's usually several sellers of these every week and I just kept trying until I "won" for a price I could afford ( I think it just took a couple of weeks).
I'm really happy with mine but I have to admit that I'm kinda glad that I went through the process of killing off a few "cheapies" along the way. I think a little more before I start sticking probes into a hot chassis and there are ways to work around some of the inaccuracies that I'm glad to have learned.

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:39:00 PM
I, too, have a Fluke 87.  I've had it since about 1990.  Other than changing the battery I haven't had a problem.  This is a true RMS reading meter.  Always buy one with the rubber protector that goes around it.  I have dropped my meter a number of times and the rubber does its job.  I checked a few days ago and it can be bought used for $150.  I would have no qualms buying a used meter that says it is in good operating condition from a seller with good feedback.

You ask about a meter to measure inductance.  I don't know of a Fluke that has inductance.  They may make them but I just don't remember seeing one.  The 87 measures frequency and capacitance (only up to about 7uF but way down).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:20:24 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline sl-15

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:03:12 PM
thanks all for the input so far. grainger after reading your reply i realized that i mixed up inductance and capacitance in my post. i want to measure capacitance of cables not inductance and i am wondering if you can do this with the function on the fluke or if you have to use a more specific meter. something along the line like this:
http://electronics-diy.com/store.php?sel=kits&sub=electronic_kits
it seems fun to me to build your own meter but almost $60 for only two functions is a little steep. i am also unsure how one would calibrate such a diy meter.
i edited my original post switching inductance to capacitance.
thanks,
stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:38:51 AM
The capacitance in cables doesn't measure using my Fluke.  I tried, it didn't work, I thought it might, I was wrong.  So it is best to rely on the manufacturer for the picofarads per foot.

I don't know if the linked meter would read cables either.  My guess is not.  But I was wrong before.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:17:09 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 04:26:12 AM
The woofertester2 hardware/software from Smith Larsen audio does a very nice job of measureing reactive quantities of cables, speaker drivers, etc.  It uses a current source measuring technique and sems quite accurate, especially for the price.  Not quite a Quantech, but you won't have to mortgage your hous to afford one either :-).

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 06:29:14 AM
My old Radio Shack meter - a "Micronta 22-194" according to the back label - works fine. I just checked; a twisted pair of clipleads 18" long is 22pF, clipping them to a 6-ft interconnect gave 165pF so the cable must be 143pF, or 24pF/foot. That's a very reasonable value, in fact both values are quite as I might expect, so I think it's pretty good for that application.

Paul Joppa

Offline rif

Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:37:57 AM
Cool. Do you have any cables with known values? If no i'd be happy to send you some belden 1505a and/or 1694a i have lying around. Belden publishes lors of tech info on their cables.

-david

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 04:23:50 PM
I have a Fluke 179 that I'm pretty happy with. It has a few fancy features that you don't need like a thermometer, but I can easily recommend the brand.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com

Offline sl-15

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 05:27:17 AM
thanks for every bodies input so far. at the moment i am leaning towards a fluke 179 or a 87v. (i actually do like the temperature function) i read that people are recommending amprobe  as a good fluke alternative so i am going to look into that as well. but back to capacitance measurements: grainger, you said you are not able to get a cable measurement with yours but then paul joppa said it works just fine with his old radio shack meter. so it looks like if you have 'the right meter' it might work after all. maybe fluke meters are designed in a way that they do not show a reading? anybody else here with a fluke that can try to measure cable capacitance and report back?
thanks

Stefan Hampel

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 07:02:43 AM
Stefan,

You and I have no way of knowing that you can measure cable capacitance by the indication of it having a capacitance range.  What I am saying is that it seems to be more hit and miss than a certainty.

4krow

Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 12:10:40 PM
There is an additional question here that I would like to ask. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a meter that uses a needle rather than digital? It would come in handy when viewing the resistance of a pot to 'see' the taper used.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 02:56:59 PM
See if you can find a Simpson 260 -- an old solid workhorse that has been around forever and is built like a tank.  Still wish I had mine and could use it.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)