New Popping in Crack [resolved]

squirreldude · 3051

Offline squirreldude

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 01:45:36 PM
Paul,

I noticed that one of the two LEDs on the 9 pin socket is out. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was unlit during the voltage check yesterday. I wiggled the socket and the light came on briefly, but I haven't been able to get it back on since then. During the time it was lit, voltage checks went back to normal. I tried different tubes again and reheated the joints on the 9 pin socket with no luck.

What do you think?
Karl

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 07:33:27 PM
We'll get it back in the shop and have a look.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline squirreldude

Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 11:18:41 AM
Hey Paul, just checking in since I haven't heard anything in a while. Should I be expecting a UPS shipping label in the mail from BH, or am I expected to cover shipping from my end? As an alternative to shipping the whole amp, it might be faster and cheaper if you're willing to send me the socket and/or LED directly.

*Edit: I just received notice from Eileen that UPS will be coming to pick it up tomorrow. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:45:47 PM by squirreldude »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 11:06:40 AM
Hello Karl,

I was able to measure an internal short between pins 8 and 9 on your 9 pin socket, which would explain the issues you were having.  With some proper jostling of the socket, the short could be made to go away or return, so the reasonable assumption is that there is some kind of conductive debris lodged between the two ceramic halves of the socket causing considerable chaos.

I replaced this socket and all is well with your amplifier.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man