Speedball Difficulty Level? - Is it worth it?

Rhok · 5541

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 06:59:25 AM
- the 1st one was how to properly unsolder too-nicely wrapped around components junctions. I should have built the crack with the speedball extension in mind, in order to facilitate the components removal. Perhaps the crack documentation should mention these particular junctions attentions. An unsoldering pump is a must-have.
You can just cut the resistors out and leave the leads in place. 
- the 2nd one was the relative fragility of the small gauge teflon wires. They can easily break when you manipulate the boards to screw them at their right location. Having some spare teflon wire is always a good thing...
This is a function of stripping the Teflon wire with the wrong setting on your stripper, which gouges the wire and makes it fragile.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Snarii

Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 07:19:03 AM
You can just cut the resistors out and leave the leads in place. 
You're right. I just wanted to keep to components absolutely intact and be able to eventually revert the operation, just in case.

This is a function of stripping the Teflon wire with the wrong setting on your stripper, which gouges the wire and makes it fragile.
A mechanical constraint on the wire is possible at the board junction. I simply should have cut the wire a little longer, and this wouldn't have been a problem. But I (wrongly) feared to be short on provided wire. Having the proper tool to strip the wire is also a plus. APEXJR.com sells nice 20 and 22awg PTFE (teflon) solid core wire if someone needs spare for projects.

Bottlehead Crack+Speedball, Heavy modifications (7119, stepped attenuator, shoke, capacitors, ...),  iFi DSD nano, Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 07:47:31 AM
We provide at least 10% more wire than is required to make up all of the cut lengths in any kit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.