Sold my Klipsch now thinking of upgrades to my Altec 846A speakers

Paully · 6351

Offline Paully

I sold off my Klipsch Chorus II, and contrary to popular opinion on the High Efficiency Asylum, it was a really hard choice.  I have been thinking about a three way using Altec components when I stumbled on the post by Wardsweb.  Before I do get stupid and build a pair of those I was thinking about other options to explore first.  What seems to be missing is some high frequency detail.  The bass response on my Altec 846A speakers is fine.  Grainger pointed out the Fostex super tweeters that I am thinking seriously about.  I thought I would ask here what are some options and opinions on what you would explore since people here tend to be reasonable when thinking about quality versus price.  Any thoughts about what you might do with them to take them to the next level?

Offline Wardsweb

Are you thinking of something like the T90A?

(https://www.madisound.com/store/images/madisound/product/T90A.jpg)

or were you thinking of mounting a super tweeter or horn to a custom box?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
There's a current thread on Altec and other HF drivers over on the Asylum high-efficiency forum. Also the Lansing Heritage site has a lot of experts. It may be that a better driver, or a magnet re-charge, would bring up the highs. Don't know nothin', I'm just sayin'.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Paully

I was seriously thinking about the T90A but was also thinking about mounting a tweeter in a box since we are talking over $300 for the Fostex just to find out if I like it and can make it integrate well.  And then again, never having done anything like this, I don't know what I am talking about.  Just looking for options to explore before I lose control of these ants in my pants and start buying components to have a run at Wardsweb's speaker project.  So any opinions and options are welcome.

I am not sure the magnets need to be remagnetized.  From what I have read, if they sound decent in general they are probably in fine shape and remagnetizing them won't have much effect.  I don't know, just what I have read.

Offline edfallon

If they are alnico magnets, I would recommend having GPA recharge them just to ensure you have a valid starting point.  It's a very inexpensive service and usually free if you buy diaphragms from them.  Age and abuse can take their toll and the effects can be subtle but annoying.  I have found that applying a bit of passive eq to an 802 or whatever version of HF driver you are using will bring the HF up enough to eliminate the need for a super tweeter and will likely sound more cohesive.  The HF driver is already padded down at least 10db so by adding the appropriate value of bypass cap across the padding resistor, you can add up to 10 db of compensation for roll off.  It's a lot cheaper that fostex super tweeters and might get you to where you are satisfied.

-Ed

Offline Grainger49

I haven't a clue but here is a couple of pictures of the back of the tweeter driver:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:14:29 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline xcortes

I have a set of 846As too. I contacted GPA earlier this year regarding the rebuilt of the drivers and this is what I got:

"The 806's cost $90.40 US each to rebuild (this includes parts, labor, and remagnetization), and the woofers would cost you $117.70 US each to rebuild (includes parts, labor, and remagnetization)".

Xavier Cortes

Offline Paully

Remagnetizing the drivers only cost $20 and I was advised by GPA not to bother sending them in unless they are distorting.  May not hurt to have them remagnetized, the guy at Great Plains is happy to do it, but he didn't tell me it was necessary.  Might have it done anyway.

There is a cheaper Fostex option for about $40 each but in the meantime Grainger is going to send me a set of tweeters he has to experiment with.  Don't know how much I will learn but it is a place to start.

Playing with the crossover, which I was planning or refreshing, is an intriguing option in and of itself.  And easy if I go ahead an redo it anyway.

Thanks for the input.