Duelund Tinned Copper Hookup Wire

dmhenley · 2587

Offline dmhenley

on: April 12, 2017, 01:09:38 PM
Has anyone tested the latest Duelund wire?

I grabbed a good length of the stuff - 16GA - when it was discounted. I first upgraded the internal wiring of my speakers (98db Lore) and had some success. Next, I ran it as speaker wire. I really dig the additional tone and harmonic complexity I'm getting.

So, I used a bit of the left over wire to re-wire my SEX 2.1 - but, only from the OT's to the headphone jack. It's 26 strand wire.

Don't expect much...I'll know soon.

Overall, an inexpensive experiment - $6.99 per meter at the time, though I think it's now $9.99/m - when comparing to high-end speaker cable prices.

Offline TurbOSquiD77

Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 04:18:55 PM
Duelund/distributors are offering the copper cotton oil and tinned stranded copper for great prices right now. I haven't tried the tinned, but I do have a bunch of the copper/cotton/oil and do love working with it. However, I have not been able to use it in part of the circuit I could directly compare it against other wire.

Currently I have my input wiring from RCA's to the selector switch wired with one input being bare 26 awg OCC5N silver (Parts Connexion) with 24 gauge clear PTFE, and the other input being the stock wiring. Great! Also, there was no way I was going to slide the 26 gauge teflon over that thin of silver wire within this millennium, so I opted to use 24 awg PTFE.

It's interesting to read about what tinning, oil, and other dielectrics do for the performance and sound of whatever wire you're using in audible parts of the circuit.
How's the tinned wire treating you?

-T
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:21:47 PM by TurbOSquiD77 »

Offline dmhenley

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:38:42 AM
5 days in - running the amp hard - so, likely have 30+hours on it after swapping the wire.
The resulting improvement to SQ is aligned with what I found using it as speaker/internal wire. More natural sounding tone color and textures. Dynamics slightly elevated. Overall, a very nice improvement for my taste. The wire is worth a look.

My current system:
Dedicated Win10 machine with Fidelizer Pro, Tidal streaming (HIFI) and Roon server feeding a Sonore microRendu (LPS-1 psu) which feeds a Schiit Yggdrasil via usb and finally the SEx 2.1 (Jupiter Copper Foil caps/stepped attenuator mods) headamp. AQ Nighthawks are my primary headphones.

Offline Tom-s

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 10:57:41 AM
Question about these wire's.
Could these be used as hook-up wire in Bottlehead kits (20 and 26 AWG?)?
Can't find any safety datasheet covering the cotton / oil insulator.  ???
With the voltages in tube amps i'm holding back at the moment.